From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Wow. Don't get old.
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:34:26 -0800 (PST)
From: popinjay <paulpopinjay@sbcglobal.net>
On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 1:47:10 AM UTC-8, risky biz wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 12:51:58 AM UTC-8, popinjay wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 11:26:25 PM UTC-8, risky biz wrote:
> > > 'Pretty Boy' vs Johnny Archer, Brunswick World Open 1989
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LuzdviH4tk&t=619s
> > >
> > > Dr. Who: Ewa at 2:46, 23:42, 41:40
> > >
> > > But I posted this because the commentator mentions the name of someone at 34:20 who I know
here in Las Vegas. He used to do exhibition tours with Minnesota Fats and was a pro boxer for a
while. He's 70 years old now and I never would have guessed that was him if his name hadn't been
mentioned.

> > Y'know how I can tell that this was 1989, besides the fact that it says it is?  By looking at
the guy's wife.  She LOOKS 1989.

> > I don't know the game, but I didn't understand what happened when Johnny shot the ball away, and
then Jimmy looked at it, and passed it back to Johnny.  What is that called and how does that go?

> Either player can call a 'push' shot on the first shot after the break. The player would do this
if he doesn't have a makeable shot or is not in a good position to play a safety. The idea is to
push the cue ball to a location where you think you can make a shot or play a good safety and your
opponent can't. The opponent can shoot from the new location of the cue ball or pass it back to the
other player.

> > Another newb question.  Where do people play pool?  There are specific pool halls?  Do they
practice in bars?

> There are tables in bars but they're non-standard 7' tables. I've never played on anything other
than a 9' table in my life. Those will be at pool rooms of which there are 4 or 5 in Las Vegas. Here
are some in Fresno but they may or may not be a decent place in terms of atmosphere or equipment
quality:
> Mecca Billiards
> 732 Fulton St, Fresno, CA 93721
> Diamond Billiards
> 6460 N Blackstone Ave, Ste 114, Fresno, CA 93710
> Rack Family Billiards
> 4678 N Blackstone Ave, Fresno, CA 93726
>
> > Are there machines at any of these same venues?
>
> They don't have VP in the best room in Las Vegas but the others may have it. I'm not sure. The pay
tables will suck if they do.

> > Do you bowl, Risky?
>
> The last time I bowled was about 20 years ago.
>
> If there's a decent place to play maybe you should take up pool. You might find that you have a
talent for it.

Thanks for the info and answers.

I should have learned to golf.  A little late in life for new bad habits.

I always check paytables, however unlikely the prospect.  Amazing the mistakes I've found in the
past.