From: Tim Norfolk <>
Subject: Re: My personal sociology experiment
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 13:51:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Norfolk <>
On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 12:45:09 PM UTC-5, BillB wrote:
> If you read my posts you know my wife and I are starting to prepare for a semi-retirement
lifestyle. We will soon be cashing in all our chips in Vancouver (before the crash) and finding a
new (much cheaper) home base from which to launch our RV adventures. My wife is pretty much leaving
all the details up to me. She is in agreement with every idea I pitch, which is a little scary, but
one of the reasons I love her. She has always been game for almost anything.
> I have tried to keep a totally open mind. We could stay in Vancouver, or go literally anywhere in
Canada. We do want to stay in Canada (for at least 6 months a year) for the free lifetime
healthcare, which is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to us. After all, I'm not an idiot.
> Anyway, I think I have the location nailed down. There were about a dozen finalists, but I kept
coming back to the same place over and over until I finally had to declare it a winner. I don't want
to disclose the location just yet, but I can tell you that we will be getting an incredible bang for
our housing buck. Compared to Vancouver, it's absolutely mind boggling how big and cheap the houses
are there. They're practically free. We will definitely be living mortgage-free. We will also be in
an extremely strategic location offering excellent RV destinations within a day's drive (and beyond)
in almost every direction. It's on a large body of water, and has been acclaimed as one of the best
tourist destinations in Canada.
> There's only one problem with this ostensible paradise. It's all white. Like, we're talking 99%+.
I don't know if I can handle living with all white people. My wife and I have always lived in a
multicultural environment.
> If any of you have ever had to live exclusively among white people for an extended period of time,
I'd love to hear any survival tips or other experiences you might have to share. Was it worth it?
Did you get bored? Did you find that the white people were less overtly racist with no minorities
around...or were they even worse??

There was a single AA kid in my son's local school (a single building for all 13 grades). He was
adopted. Sadly, he died while riding his bike.