From: Tim Norfolk <timsn274@aol.com>
Subject: Re: My personal sociology experiment
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:28:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Norfolk <timsn274@aol.com>
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:22:39 AM UTC-5, BillB wrote:
> On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 12:48:37 PM UTC-8, VegasJerry wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 9:45:09 AM UTC-8, BillB wrote:
> > > If you read my posts you know my wife and I are starting to prepare for a semi-retirement
lifestyle. We will soon be cashing in all our chips in Vancouver (before the crash) and finding a
new (much cheaper) home base from which to launch our RV adventures. My wife is pretty much leaving
all the details up to me. She is in agreement with every idea I pitch, which is a little scary, but
one of the reasons I love her. She has always been game for almost anything.

> > > I have tried to keep a totally open mind. We could stay in Vancouver, or go literally anywhere
in Canada. We do want to stay in Canada (for at least 6 months a year) for the free lifetime
healthcare, which is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to us. After all, I'm not an idiot.

> > > Anyway, I think I have the location nailed down. There were about a dozen finalists, but I
kept coming back to the same place over and over until I finally had to declare it a winner. I don't
want to disclose the location just yet, but I can tell you that we will be getting an incredible
bang for our housing buck. Compared to Vancouver, it's absolutely mind boggling how big and cheap
the houses are there. They're practically free. We will definitely be living mortgage-free. We will
also be in an extremely strategic location offering excellent RV destinations within a day's drive
(and beyond) in almost every direction. It's on a large body of water, and has been acclaimed as one
of the best tourist destinations in Canada.

> > > There's only one problem with this ostensible paradise. It's all white. Like, we're talking
99%+. I don't know if I can handle living with all white people. My wife and I have always lived in
a  multicultural environment.

> > > If any of you have ever had to live exclusively among white people for an extended period of
time, I'd love to hear any survival tips or other experiences you might have to share. Was it worth
it? Did you get bored? Did you find that the white people were less overtly racist with no
minorities around...or were they even worse??

> > In effect, that’s what we did here. Retired from Vancouver (Washington); moved to Vegas,
cashed in all the funds (about 6 months before the crash); paid off everything; bought a motorhome
(second one), and would leave Vegas for three months at a time. (Second trip on, attached a car to
the back). Eventually sold the MH and live the Vegas life style: Patio, pool, BBQ – got rid of the
hot tub; and occasionally ‘do the strip,’ and wine and dine. Like this last week when the kids
came for xmas from Atlanta.

> > As to living in white-only, we lived in Bishop, CA for 7-years and never notice it being a
problem not having any blacks. We did have Mexicans and Indians, but, no big deal. I don’t believe
you’ll find yourself crippled, not >have a percentage-based racial population.

> If I was an American, Vegas would definitely be a finalist for us. Reasonably priced housing, mild
winter weather, good tourism draw, low tax jurisdiction, endless food and entertainment options, an
acceptable level of multiculturalism (albeit with some faux multiculturalism), and strategically
located as a good RVing home base. Points against it is it's in the desert, it's not on the ocean,
and it's not very pretty to look at.

Have you been there in August?