> Prev
Subject: T-Rump Lies About NATO, Gets Publicly Schooled For It
From: Clave <ChrisClavius@TheMonastery.com>
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 14:31:22 -0800
By a former NATO ambassador.  On Twitter, no less.

	Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT
	meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless,
	Germany owes.....
    	Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2017

	...vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid
	more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides
	to Germany!
	Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2017

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	1/ Sorry, Mr. President, that’s not how NATO works. The US
	decides for itself how much it contributes to defending NATO.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	2/ This is not a financial transaction, where NATO countries pay
	the US to defend them. It is part of our treaty commitment.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	3/ All NATO countries, including Germany, have committed to
	spend 2% of GDP on defense by 2024. So far 5 of 28 NATO
	countries do.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	4/ Those who currently don’t spend 2% of their GDP on defense
	are now increasing their defense budgets. That’s a good thing.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	5/ But no funds will be paid to the US. They are meant to
	increase NATO’s overall defense capabilities, given the growing
	Russian threat.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	6/ Europe must spend more on defense, but not as favor (or
	payment) to the US. But because their security requires it.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	7/ US does provide large military commitment to NATO. But this
	is not a favor to Europe. It is vital for our own security.

	Ivo Daalder
	@IvoHDaalder
	8/ We fought two world wars in Europe, and one cold war. Keeping
	Europe whole, free, and at peace, is vital US interest.