From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Maybe Trump will help the resistence in Iran
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:39:47 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 3:24:29 PM UTC-8, risky biz wrote:
> On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 9:54:42 PM UTC-8, Dutch wrote:
> > On 12/31/2017 7:16 PM, fffurken wrote:
> > > You think it's a "shitty" video because there are screaming women wearing hijabs in it.
> >
> > I thought it was women risking their lives to protest having to wear
> > head scarves. Then why are they wearing head scarves?
>
> In the first place, to clear up your confusion, the video of women protesting a headscarf
requirement has been spliced together with people protesting other things.

> If women protesting a headscarf requirement are risking their lives it must be exceptionally low
risk if no one got killed. Are you incapable of saying anything about Muslims without HUGE
exaggerations?

> Your framing that headscarves were imposed on Iranian women by Islamic religion and that none of
them would wear a headscarf by choice collapses in the face of factual information:

> 'Since pre-Islamic times, the wearing of a headscarf by women has been common in Greater Iran,
veils are first recorded in the region in ancient Mesopotamia.'

> 'In the mid-1930s, pro-Western ruler Reza Shah issued a decree, banning all veils. Many types of
male traditional clothing were also banned in order that "Westerners now wouldn’t laugh at
us",[73][74][75] the ban humiliated and alienated many Iranian women. To enforce this decree, police
were ordered to physically remove the veil off of any woman who wore it in public. Women were
beaten, their headscarves and chadors torn off, and their homes forcibly searched. Until Reza
Shah’s abdication in 1941, many women simply chose not leave their houses in order to avoid such
embarrassing confrontations'
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_by_country
>
> A headscarf is formally required by law in Iran now and that's just as wrong as France banning
headscarves. Explain why you consider the former imposition by the state authoritarian while you
have absolutely no condemnation of the latter imposition of the state as authoritarian.

Inability to provide explanation noted. The slithering away in silence defense.