Subject: Re: Football, big fucking deal
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 15:03:07 -0800 (PST)
From: BillB <williambradleyllb@gmail.com>
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 2:04:46 PM UTC-8, Travel wrote:
> On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 2:02:36 PM UTC-5, Clave wrote:

> > > I don't understand why any black would ever stand for the US national anthem. I think every
single black person should take a knee until something approaching racial equality is achieved, or
at least until white right-wingers in power stop actively blocking it.

> > > Average White family net worth in Boston: $245,000
> > > Average Black family net worth in Boston: $8
> >
> > They should be grateful for even that, right?
>
> The average black is debt free? Well, they don't have to pay for anything, so that makes sense
sorta.

Again, those numbers are median net worth, not average. That was my mistake.. No it does not mean
the median black family is debt free, any more than it means the median white family debt free. Net
worth is assets - liabilities. It doesn't preclude the existence of liabilities. You might benefit
from an entry-level accounting course.

> But it shows that the average Welfare benefit is high enough for a comfortable >living if there's
an average surplus of $8.

What it really means is that about 50% of black families have absolutely nothing. We can also infer
that there is a significant additional percentage that have next to nothing. If I had to guess (and
I could be way off), of the 50% who have nothing, probably half them are making something close to
minimum wage. A sizable percentage would also rely on government benefits for most of their income.
Neither of those scenarios is what I would describe as "comfortable living". In large US cities,
trying to live on incomes that low almost invariably puts you in an urban war zone where your life
is in real danger. That's sort of the opposite of comfortable.