Subject: Re: And Don't Forget A List n' Show For Jerr
From: Clave <ChrisClavius@TheMonastery.com>
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 16:01:26 -0800
On 2/6/2018 3:30 PM, Dutch wrote:

<...>

> Wouldn't it be great if anyone could have the cops investigated whenever
> they were investigating you?

Is anyone else reminded of one of the eleventy-nine Hillary
investigations, the one based on that "Clinton Cash" fantasy?  The FBI
openly said they were using it as the basis for investigating the
Clinton Foundation.

Despite the source being blitheringly partisan, Democrats pretty much
universally not only didn't try to interfere, but actively *wanted* the
investigation to run its course, regardless of the outcome.

Anyone claiming with a straight face any more that Republicans operate
in good faith (LOFL!) is merely admitting that they're complicit, that
they're just fine with fascist authoritarianism, and that questions of
right and wrong are now judged solely on whether they help or hurt their
fuhrer.

 From the Atlantic, a 'splainer on why bipartisanship is no longer in
our country's best interests, by actual real non-partisans who agree
with many traditional GOP values:

	We have both spent our professional careers strenuously avoiding
	partisanship in our writing and thinking. We have both done work
	that is, in different ways, ideologically eclectic, and that
	has—over a long period of time—cast us as not merely
	nonpartisans but antipartisans. Temperamentally, we agree with
	the late Christopher Hitchens: Partisanship makes you stupid. We
	are the kind of voters who political scientists say barely
	exist—true independents who scour candidates’ records in order
	to base our votes on individual merit, not party brand.

	This, then, is the article we thought we would never write: a
	frank statement that a certain form of partisanship is now a
	moral necessity. The Republican Party, as an institution, has
	become a danger to the rule of law and the integrity of our
	democracy. The problem is not just Donald Trump; it’s the larger
	political apparatus that made a conscious decision to enable
	him. In a two-party system, nonpartisanship works only if both
	parties are consistent democratic actors. If one of them is not
	predictably so, the space for nonpartisans evaporates. We’re
	thus driven to believe that the best hope of defending the
	country from Trump’s Republican enablers, and of saving the
	Republican Party from itself, is to do as Toren Beasley did:
	vote mindlessly and mechanically against Republicans at every
	opportunity, until the party either rights itself or implodes
	(very preferably the former).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/boycott-the-gop...