> Prev
From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Subject: Oscar ratings crash - maybe the lowest of all time
Full headers:
Path: news.netfront.net!goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!feeds.phibee-telecom.net!border2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!t24no3886307qtn.0!news-out.google.com!a13ni716qtd.1!nntp.google.com!t24no3886302qtn.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:09:02 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
"Jimmy Kimmel claimed he was keeping this year's Oscars positive, but the ratings were anything but.

The politically charged 2018 Academy Awards were down 15.6 percent compared to the 2017 viewership
with an 18.9 rating in Nielsen’s overnight numbers from 8-11 p.m. ET, according to TheWrap.

Host Jimmy Kimmel speaks at the Oscars on Sunday, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre in Los
“We don’t make films like ‘Call Me By Your Name’ for money,” Kimmel quipped at one point.
“We make them to upset Mike Pence.”

The sharp decline marks what could become the lowest-rated Oscars of all time on a night when Host
Jimmy Kimmel and the crowd of Hollywood elite focused on diversity, feminism and political issues as
much as it focused on the films being honored.

The lack of high-wattage stars in the major categories, and a ho-hum slate of films when it came to
box office receipts, may have also been a factor.

Media Research Center Vice President Dan Gainor told Fox News that people shouldn’t be surprised
that the show turned political and featured “divisive, left-wing politics” throughout the
four-hour event.

“The Tinseltown elite genuinely hate the people they expect will pay to see their movies and watch
their TV shows,” Gainor said. “Why do we support them?”

Sunday night’s awards were politically charged and loaded with mentions of the #MeToo and Time’s
Up movements. Kimmel took jabs at President Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and even Fox News

“We don’t make films like ‘Call Me By Your Name’ for money,” Kimmel quipped at one point.
“We make them to upset Mike Pence.”

The Pence joke prompted conservative commentator Ben Shapiro to sarcastically tweet, “I thought
Hollywood wasn’t biased against conservatives and only cares about the bottom line.”

During the show, Kimmel lauded the actual Oscar statue, noting its age of 90 and taking a swipe at
Fox News viewers in the process: "Oscar is 90 years old tonight, which means he’s probably at home
tonight watching Fox News."

Kimmel wasn't the only one getting political throughout the night. Stars Kumail Nanjiani and Nyong'o
took the stage to share a message of support to Dreamers ahead of announcing "Shape of Water" as the
winner of best production design.

A musical performance from Common and Andra Day of “Stand Up for Something” was an ode to
American activism with politically charged lyrics about topics like the NRA, the Parkland shooting,
immigration, feminism and Puerto Rico."

The unique monster movie "The Shape of Water" took home the award for best picture.
Tyler McCarthy contributed to this report.

Irish Mike