From: VegasJerry <jerryst@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Oscar ratings crash - maybe the lowest of all time
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:28:12 -0800 (PST)
From: VegasJerry <jerryst@cox.net>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 8:22:34 AM UTC-8, popinjay wrote:
> On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 8:09:15 AM UTC-8, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > "Jimmy Kimmel claimed he was keeping this year's Oscars positive, but the ratings were anything
but.

> > The politically charged 2018 Academy Awards were down 15.6 percent compared to the 2017
viewership with an 18.9 rating in Nielsen’s overnight numbers from 8-11 p.m. ET, according to
TheWrap.

> > Host Jimmy Kimmel speaks at the Oscars on Sunday, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre in Los
Angeles.
> > “We don’t make films like ‘Call Me By Your Name’ for money,” Kimmel quipped at one
point. “We make them to upset Mike Pence.”

> > The sharp decline marks what could become the lowest-rated Oscars of all time on a night when
Host Jimmy Kimmel and the crowd of Hollywood elite focused on diversity, feminism and political
issues as much as it focused on the films being honored.

> > The lack of high-wattage stars in the major categories, and a ho-hum slate of films when it came
to box office receipts, may have also been a factor.

> > Media Research Center Vice President Dan Gainor told Fox News that people shouldn’t be
surprised that the show turned political and featured “divisive, left-wing politics” throughout
the four-hour event.

> > “The Tinseltown elite genuinely hate the people they expect will pay to see their movies and
watch their TV shows,” Gainor said. “Why do we support them?”

> > Sunday night’s awards were politically charged and loaded with mentions of the #MeToo and
Time’s Up movements. Kimmel took jabs at President Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and even Fox
News viewers.

> > “We don’t make films like ‘Call Me By Your Name’ for money,” Kimmel quipped at one
point. “We make them to upset Mike Pence.”

> > The Pence joke prompted conservative commentator Ben Shapiro to sarcastically tweet, “I
thought Hollywood wasn’t biased against conservatives and only cares about the bottom line.”

> > During the show, Kimmel lauded the actual Oscar statue, noting its age of 90 and taking a swipe
at Fox News viewers in the process: "Oscar is 90 years old tonight, which means he’s probably at
home tonight watching Fox News."

> > Kimmel wasn't the only one getting political throughout the night. Stars Kumail Nanjiani and
Nyong'o took the stage to share a message of support to Dreamers ahead of announcing "Shape of
Water" as the winner of best production design.

> > A musical performance from Common and Andra Day of “Stand Up for Something” was an ode to
American activism with politically charged lyrics about topics like the NRA, the Parkland shooting,
immigration, feminism and Puerto Rico."

> > The unique monster movie "The Shape of Water" took home the award for best picture.
> > Tyler McCarthy contributed to this report.
> >
> > Irish Mike
>

> I can't remember the last time I watched the Oscars.  Maybe 30 years ago?  Maybe more.  These
people make me sick.  And Jimmy Kimmel is one of the worst.

So why do you watch him?