From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Watching, or not watching, the Oscars
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:13:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Travel <travel9599@gmail.com>
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 10:33:17 AM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
But now it's

infested Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally
superior preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > Then don't read my posts.
> > >
> > > Irish Mike
> >
> > Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

> Fair enough.  I just read your Oscar post, and it was informative.  I am a movie fan but very
rarely
> go to a theater.  i wait for the movie to come on AT&T U-Verse or Netflix so I am usually a couple
> of months behind seeing new releases.
>
> Of the major films, the only ones I've seen are "Get Out", "Dunkirk" and "Wind river".
>  I have "Darkest Hour", "The Shape of Water" and "Three Billboards" in my queue.
> I was surprised to see "Get Out" on the list for any thing.  It was a mediocre horror film
> at best so I assume it was included because of the black actors and pro-black theme.
>
> I really enjoyed "Wind River" and thought it was under rated.  "Dunkirk" was good but
> seemed a little "movies-by-the-book" for lack of a better term.  The two movies
> I am really looking forward to seeing are "Hostiles" and The Ballad of Lefty Brown".
>
> You also mentioned "John Wick 2".  I enjoyed the original "John Wick" but the second
> installment was just typical, predictable over-the-top Hollywood rubbish.
>
> That said, I stand by my original statement.  The Oscars have devolved into a
> "left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values."
>
> Irish Mike

Ya, but, why didn't you post this on "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Thread?" And describing
it as "informative" is about as borderline-snub as it gets.

It's like your daughter getting married, and at the wedding, someone telling you that she looks
adequate.

You went all the way back-to your thread, to post about my thread.

See what I'm saying, something odd about this? Can't just post something like, "thanks," and be done
with it?

Okay, With "Get Out," I thought that it was well-acted and held my attention well, throughout.

It also was by far the best horror movie of the year, with a relatively inspired storyline, and I
thought it deserved a shout-out as a clearly entertaining movie.

I'm not writing: "Travel's Flawless Movies Of The year." That would be a very short list.

Understand that, when dealing with a single year's "best movies," you're dealing with a comparative
study; one can't use a years-past "all-time best" horror movie as a baseline, for example.

You'll like "Hostiles" no doubt, and I'm pretty sure that You'll like "The Ballad Of Lefty Brown;"
it's a traditional-style western with a good ending..

With "John Wick: chapter 2," again, no, it wasn't quite as good as the original, but the original
was last year. This year, it was the best of it's kind, imo.

No, a "best of it's kind" criteria doesn't necessarily translate into one of the "best of the year,"
but I thought that "John Wick: chapter 2" was a good example of "if you liked last year's ("John
Wick" movie), here's more of the same, and it's pretty close to being as good as the original."

Okay, you managed to cherry pick a couple to disagree with, and that's fine (the disagreement part).

I'd thank you for the response, but it's your thread.