From: irishranger317 <irishranger317@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Watching, or not watching, the Oscars
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 12:06:22 -0800 (PST)
From: irishranger317@gmail.com
On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 2:14:11 PM UTC-5, Travel wrote:
> On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 10:33:17 AM UTC-5, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
But now it's

infested Hollywood for decades, I am even less inclined to listen to their self-righteous, morally
superior preaching about

Memoriam segment

> > > Just pointing out how odd it is, your being a movie fan and all, and especially, on the same
"political side," that you couldn't force yourself to just drop-a-line on "Travel's Annual (5th)
Academy Awards Picks."

> > Fair enough.  I just read your Oscar post, and it was informative.  I am a movie fan but very
rarely
> > go to a theater.  i wait for the movie to come on AT&T U-Verse or Netflix so I am usually a
couple
> > of months behind seeing new releases.
> >
> > Of the major films, the only ones I've seen are "Get Out", "Dunkirk" and "Wind river".
> >  I have "Darkest Hour", "The Shape of Water" and "Three Billboards" in my queue.
> > I was surprised to see "Get Out" on the list for any thing.  It was a mediocre horror film
> > at best so I assume it was included because of the black actors and pro-black theme.
> >
> > I really enjoyed "Wind River" and thought it was under rated.  "Dunkirk" was good but
> > seemed a little "movies-by-the-book" for lack of a better term.  The two movies
> > I am really looking forward to seeing are "Hostiles" and The Ballad of Lefty Brown".
> >
> > You also mentioned "John Wick 2".  I enjoyed the original "John Wick" but the second
> > installment was just typical, predictable over-the-top Hollywood rubbish.
> >
> > That said, I stand by my original statement.  The Oscars have devolved into a
> > "left wing political platform for bashing America, conservatives and traditional values."
> >
> > Irish Mike
>

> Ya, but, why didn't you post this on "Travel's Annual (5th) Academy Awards Thread?" And describing
it as "informative" is about as borderline-snub as it gets.

> It's like your daughter getting married, and at the wedding, someone telling you that she looks
adequate.

> You went all the way back-to your thread, to post about my thread.
>
> See what I'm saying, something odd about this? Can't just post something like, "thanks," and be
done with it?

> Okay, With "Get Out," I thought that it was well-acted and held my attention well, throughout.
>
> It also was by far the best horror movie of the year, with a relatively inspired storyline, and I
thought it deserved a shout-out as a clearly entertaining movie.

> I'm not writing: "Travel's Flawless Movies Of The year." That would be a very short list.
>
> Understand that, when dealing with a single year's "best movies," you're dealing with a
comparative study; one can't use a years-past "all-time best" horror movie as a baseline, for
example.

> You'll like "Hostiles" no doubt, and I'm pretty sure that You'll like "The Ballad Of Lefty Brown;"
it's a traditional-style western with a good ending.

> With "John Wick: chapter 2," again, no, it wasn't quite as good as the original, but the original
was last year. This year, it was the best of it's kind, imo.

> No, a "best of it's kind" criteria doesn't necessarily translate into one of the "best of the
year," but I thought that "John Wick: chapter 2" was a good example of "if you liked last year's
("John Wick" movie), here's more of the same, and it's pretty close to being as good as the
original."

> Okay, you managed to cherry pick a couple to disagree with, and that's fine (the disagreement
part).

> I'd thank you for the response, but it's your thread.

LOL! Are you serious?  I honestly have absolutely no idea why your post about the Oscars
is so important to you.  Or why it matters where I post my opinion about the Oscars.  But I'll
tell you what.  I will make a special response, just for you on, your Oscar thread.

Irish Mike