From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Trump backstabs both African elephants and Australia in the same day
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:51:26 -0800 (PST)
From: risky biz <swingtrader@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 11:58:50 AM UTC-8, popinjay wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 11:13:38 AM UTC-8, risky biz wrote:

dog, Teddy, asking President Trump to protect the elephants.  I wasn't sure what that was about.
But now I know.  Fuck Trump, and his psychopath sons.  And fuck the Indonesians too, the ones who
just killed a rare Sumatran tiger because they thought it was a shapeshifter.  Fucking morons.  This
is a fucked up world.

> > > Michael Savage wrote today that Trump has reversed the call and that the ban under Obama
against importing dead elephant parts will stand.

> > > Y'know who really fucks up conservation?  The fucking Chinese, that's who.  They love their
fucking ivory, like it's a status symbol.  Dog-eating mutherfuckers.

> > You should see some of the online conversations with pool cue collectors and pool players who
want ivory on their cues in the joints, ferrules, butt caps, and inlays. It's legal if the ivory was
collected before a certain date and suppliers have been caught faking acquisition date data. These
assholes just want the supposed prestige of having ivory in their cue but justify it with completely
spurious arguments that it is a superior material to others, elephants aren't really heading toward
extinction, elephants are pests, etc. Real POSs.

> They are such intelligent animals, with better family values than most people.
>
> You may not care for Michael Savage, but he really champions animals and the environment.  And he
can really dish it out to that fat fuck Rush Limbaugh, I hate that mutherfucker.  Today he was
ragging on the hunting industry and the phonies in that group.  He is a gentle and caring man.

I don't care about Michael Savage. He's taking credit for the reversal which is pretty pompous.
Coverage in the MSM is what exposed it and why he's reversing it. Every conservation group in the
world has been exerting tremendous efforts for many decades to save elephants from extinction.

The story on Trump is that he satisfies one interest group with words and the opposite group with
actions. He sees no contradiction in that if he can get away with it. He cooked this up with Ryan
Zinke and tried to slip it in..

'It’s always suspicious when a federal agency quietly makes a major policy change and does not put
out a news release about it. That’s what the Interior Department did last week.

Handing another win to the National Rifle Association, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service withdrew a
ban related to importing elephant trophies from Africa. A March 1 memorandum, written in dense
legalese, said the government will now allow hunters to receive permits on “a case-by-case
basis” to bring tusks and other body parts back to this country.

This is notable because Trump chastised and then overruled his own political appointees at the
department, led by Secretary Ryan Zinke, when they unveiled plans last November to lift restrictions
put in place by Barack Obama. The president called the hunting of elephants for sport a “horror
show.”

Just last month, Trump told Piers Morgan that what his team did last year was “terrible.”

“I didn’t want elephants killed and stuffed and have the tusks brought back,” he said.

Stories started trickling out this week as reporters discovered the memo that had been entered into
the public record.

The NRA has been aggressively challenging the 2014 ban on elephant trophy imports from Zimbabwe and
Zambia in court, and the D.C. Circuit ruled in December that the Obama administration didn’t
follow proper procedures related to soliciting public comments when implementing it.

The Trump administration cites this finding as the justification for its policy change. But The Hill
notes that Fish and Wildlife is simultaneously withdrawing other findings related to trophy hunting
that stretch back to 1995. So that spin doesn’t necessarily pass the smell test.

The population of African elephants, the world’s largest land mammal, has declined from 5 million
to 400,000 over the past century. That’s why they’ve been protected under the Endangered Species
Act since 1979. These are incredibly smart creatures and really amazing to behold up close.

In an apparent effort to minimize press coverage, the Trump team at Interior initially tried to push
through the rule change last November during the week before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Speaking for the first time about the Interior memo, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee
Sanders insisted at her Wednesday afternoon briefing that the president’s views have not changed
since November. She cited the litigation as the reason for the change and then referred specific
questions about how the relaxed rules will work to the department. “The president has been clear
what his position is, and that has not changed,” she said. Asked if he thinks there should be a
permanent ban on imports of trophies, she ducked and repeated herself. “President Trump's position
on trophy hunting remains the same,” Sanders said.

“Zinke recently told people privately that Trump has called him several times to discuss what to
do about elephant trophies,” the AP’s Michael Biesecker notes. “Zinke is an avid hunter who
after arriving at Interior last year ordered the arcade game ‘Big Buck Hunter Pro’ to be
installed in the employee cafeteria at the agency's Washington headquarters. … In June, the
department removed longstanding protections for grizzly bears near Yellowstone National Park, a step
to potentially allow them to be hunted. The Fish and Wildlife Service also quietly began issuing
permits in October allowing African lions killed in Zimbabwe and Zambia to be imported.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2018/...