> Prev
From: Juan Anonly <aqui@ahora.com>
Subject: Mayweather and Non-Boxer for $100!! No way!
Full headers:
From: Juan Anonly <aqui@ahora.com>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.boxing
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:59:28 -0700
I had about talked myself into buying into the Mayweather Fiasco du
jour, because I really like both Badou Jack and Gervonta Davis. And the
Mayweather v. Non-Boxer is a "cultural event" so I figured, oh what the
hell, maybe I'll buy in. How much is it, $60.  No.

It's $100.  Who the hell are they kidding?  No way!

It's supposed to be produce the highest profit ever for a "Boxing-ish"
event.  I hope it dies a horrible death and doesn't manage to recoup
the expenditures of their multi-city/continent bogus tour.  That would
make me happy.

God forbid that it makes a zillion, or the Mayweather gets knocked down
or some other pie-in-the-sky lunacy, because if that happens we'll be
seeing circus events like this every year.

Best case scenario: The fight only makes 25% of intended receipts,
McGregor is knocked out in the first minute, is damaged enough that he
has to spend a few weeks in the hospital and Mayweather Promotions and
the Nevada State Boxing Commision (a subsidiary of Mayweather
Promotions) are forced to apologize for a few years.

And even better scenario: McGregor doesn't show up for the fight. That
way everybody is angry, a few companies have to declare bankruptcy and
most importantly Mayweather doesn't go to 50 unbeaten fights when one
of the opponents isn't a boxer.  What would be next fighting a kangaroo
to get to #51?

Meanwhile Gervonta Davis, who when signed to Mayweather's stable
immediately became a "protog