From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Subject: You can’t deny it, these Seahawks got exactly what they deserved — no spot in playoffs
Full headers:
From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks,alt.sports.football.pro.ariz-cardinals
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?You_can=e2=80=99t_deny_it=2c_these_Seahawks_got_exactly_w?=
=?UTF-8?Q?hat_they_deserved_=e2=80=94_no_spot_in_playoffs?=
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 19:35:18 -0800
You can’t deny it, these Seahawks got exactly what they deserved — no
spot in playoffs

Originally published December 31, 2017 at 9:01 pm Updated December 31,
2017 at 9:27 pm
Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll looks crestfallen, and his headset goes
crashing to the turf, as he reacts to a 15-yard penalty against Thomas
Rawls for taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct at the end of a 12-yard
pass play to Rawls that for a moment provided a big spark for the
Seattle offense, and the CenturyLink crowd. (Bettina Hansen/The Seattle
Times)

A penalty flag indicates quarterback Drew Stanton (5) suffered through a
roughing-the-passer penalty on Bobby Wagner that helped the Cardinals’
winning drive. (Mike Siegel/The Seattle Times)

Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald (11) draws a pass-interference
call on Seattle’s Justin Coleman in the second quarter. (Bettina
Hansen/The Seattle Times)
Restart gallery
More Photo Galleries

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson warms up before the Seattle Seahawks
take on the Arizona Cardinals at CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Sunday
December 31, 2017. 204716
Photos: Seahawks lose to the Cardinals in final game of the regular season

Justin Coleman returns the interception 30-yards for a touchdown in the
3rd quarter against Dallas.  The Seattle Seahawks played the Dallas
Cowboys in a NFC showdown Sunday, December 24, 2017 at ATT Stadium in
Arlington, Texas. 204618
Photos: Seahawks beat the Cowboys in Dallas
Seattle Seahawks middle linebacker Bobby Wagner gives autographs to fans
before an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams, Sunday, Dec.
17, 2017, in Seattle. (AP Photo/John Froschauer) SEA101 SEA101
Photos: Seahawks lose to Rams, 42-7, in pivotal NFC West showdown

1 of 4
Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll looks crestfallen, and his headset goes
crashing to the turf, as he reacts to a 15-yard penalty against Thomas
Rawls for taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct at the end of a...
(Bettina Hansen/The Seattle Times) More

How can the same problems repeatedly doom one team? How can mental
mistakes so consistently outshine physical talent? This season didn’t
get away from the Seahawks — the Seahawks pushed it away.

By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
This wasn’t about injuries. The Seahawks might have lost some premier
players, but that’s not why their season ended before the New Year.

It wasn’t about bad breaks, either. As far as favorable bounces go, the
football gods weren’t particularly unjust to Seattle this season.

No, the Seahawks missing their first postseason since 2011 is primarily
due to this: underachievement. They aren’t going to the playoffs
because, quite frankly, they never deserved to be in them.

Russell’s big year
34 TDs
Russell Wilson ended up leading the NFL in touchdown passes with 34 this
season. Most came in the fourth quarter when Wilson threw an NFL-record
19 touchdowns.

30/500
Wilson also became the first quarterback in NFL history with at least 30
TD passes and 500 yards rushing in multiple seasons (he also did it in
2015).

“We have so much talent, we have expectations, we have a certain
standard going into every season,” Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin said.
“For it to end this way is just really disappointing.”

Cardinals 26, Seahawks 24

Photos  |   Box  |   Highlights »
No playoffs, no 10th victory, no nothing as Blair Walsh misses FG for
Seahawks
You can’t deny it, these Seahawks got exactly what they deserved | Calkins
Instant analysis: Three thoughts on the Seahawks' season-ending loss to
the Arizona Cardinals
Bob Condotta’s Report Card: Seahawks earn middling grades vs. Cardinals
but fail season
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on retirement speculation: ‘I ain’t old
enough to think about retiring!’
Watch: Tyler Lockett scores on a 99-yard kickoff return
How can the same problems repeatedly doom one team? How can mental
mistakes so consistently outshine physical talent?

Historic penalty yardage, absent first halves, dropped balls, missed
kicks. This season didn’t get away from the Seahawks — the Seahawks
pushed it away.

Seattle’s 26-24 loss to the Cardinals on Sunday exemplified the
headaches it has given fans all year. It didn’t matter that the Falcons
also won Sunday — which officially knocked Seattle out of the playoffs —
because the Seahawks couldn’t help their own cause.

Did you know that the Seahawks managed to score more than 10 first-half
points just three times this year? And that includes 10 games in which
they scored no more than seven first-half points.

There were times when it looked as if Seattle had one of the more potent
offenses in the league — something quarterback Russell Wilson’s
league-high 34 touchdown passes would attest to. But when a team is
constantly playing from behind, fourth-quarter heroics can only go so far.

That was again the case Sunday, as the Seahawks began the second half
down 20-7. The deficit provided no room for error — which is never good
for perhaps the most erroneous team in football.

ADVERTISING

Seattle (9-7) finished the season with 1,342 penalty yards, which was
just 16 behind the 2011 Raiders’ NFL record mark. And Sunday, 45 of
those yards came … in about the most boneheaded fashion possible.

First there was running back Thomas Rawls, who took a 12-yard pass to
Arizona’s 25 late in the third quarter. But after he was flagged for a
15-yard taunting penalty, the Seahawks were moved out of field-goal
range and eventually forced to punt.

Sign up for Football Fan Fix
Your weekly dose of news about the Seahawks, Huskies, Cougars and more.
Delivered daily.

Sign up
Then, there was defensive end Frank Clark getting called for roughing
the passer early in the fourth quarter, although that eventually led to
a Cardinals punt.

Finally, there was linebacker Bobby Wagner also earning a
roughing-the-passer penalty, which extended the drive that led to an
Arizona field goal and a 26-24 lead.

Sometimes, a high penalty total reflects a certain edge, and isn’t a
concern for the coaching staff. That was the case for the 2013 and 2014
Seahawks, who each went to the Super Bowl despite leading the league in
penalties.

This year’s blunders, however, weren’t a sign of tenacity — just a lack
of discipline.

“I was so disappointed in the three penalties,” said Seahawks coach Pete
Carroll. “In this season, with the margin of error we had, we weren’t
able to overcome that stuff. It’s just an area of our football that has
to change. I got to get that done. I got to get that changed.”

It wasn’t just the penalties, though. In the second game of the season,
remember, the Seahawks dropped two balls in the end zone, but were able
to escape with a 12-9 win over San Francisco. But Sunday, when tight end
Luke Willson dropped a pass (albeit underthrown) at the Cardinals’ 5, it
likely cost the Seahawks four points as they settled for a field goal.

And then, of course, there was kicker Blair Walsh — who missed three
field goals in a three-point loss to Washington, a 52-yarder in the
final seconds of a three-point loss to the Falcons, and a 48-yarder in
the final minute Sunday.

Game over. Season over. And at this point, it almost feels merciful.

After the game, Wilson said that, at the start of the season, he thought
this might be the best Seahawks team yet. That would have been quite the
feat given what this organization has accomplished over the past few years.

Instead, given all the potential they had when training camp began, this
year’s team leaves behind a more ominous legacy: most disappointing.

Matt Calkins: 206-464-3185 or mcalkins@seattletimes.com. On Twitter
@Matt_Calkins

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/you-cant-deny-it-these-...