From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Subject: Elliott's suspension riles players to 'prepare for war'
Full headers:
From: a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sf-49ers,alt.sports.football.pro.sea-seahawks
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 16:22:41 -0800
COWBOYS
Ezekiel Elliott's suspension riles players to 'prepare for war' against NFL

(seriously, over this!!!  They think they are willing to
kill the goose that lays the golden eggs!! ?)

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott (21) warms up before of a
Christmas Eve NFL game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Seattle
Seahawks on Sunday, December 24, 2017 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington,
Texas. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)

By David Moore , Staff Writer  Contact David Mooreon Twitter:@DavidMooreDMN

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. -- Ezekiel Elliott intends to put his suspension
behind him.

That doesn't mean it will go away.

Now that the Cowboys running back has dealt with the ramifications of
his six-game suspension for domestic violence, it's the NFL's turn. The
prolonged investigation into Elliott's behavior and purported flaws in
the process will be cited by the players in their looming negotiations
with the NFL.

The collective bargaining agreement expires at the end of the 2020
season. DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the Players
Association, made it clear in a news conference Thursday that the
players have no intention of extending the current agreement.

There's a sense a pound of flesh was extracted from the players in
previous negotiations and the union must make amends.

"We prepare for war,'' Smith declared. "If we're able to get a
collective bargaining agreement done, that's great. All of these men
went through a unilateral declared war on players in 2010 and 2011.''

Smith declined to reduce the list of disagreements between the NFL and
its players to a top three or five. The philosophical divide is too
great -- and the strategic benefit non-existent -- to do so at this stage.

But the unchecked power of Roger Goodell on disciplinary matters is a
major point of contention. Many players consider him a commissioner run
amok.

Count Zak DeOssie of the New York Giants in that group. DeOssie, whose
father played linebacker for the Cowboys along with three other NFL
teams, is a member of the NFLPA's executive committee.

He was one of the players on stage with Smith for Thursday's news
conference.

"This is an issue that has been a thorn in our side, commissioner
discipline or player discipline, that we want to collectively bargain,''
DeOssie said. "To let them have the autonomy to make these decisions,
it's honestly not good for us and it's not good for the NFL.

David Moore
✔
@DavidMooreDMN
DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the NFL Players Association,
makes it clear his group has no intention of extending  current CBA when
it expires in 2020. “We prepare for war.”

3:34 PM - Feb 1, 2018
  8 8 Replies   6 6 Retweets   22 22 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"Any way we can move forward and get that collectively bargained is
something we really want.''

There's an owner in Dallas -- more specifically, Frisco -- who sides
with DeOssie and the players on this issue.

There are fundamental differences between the NFL and its players. Smith
spoke about how this will lead to a grinding, exhausting process.

The discipline imposed on Elliott and how Goodell arrived at that
decision will be used by the players to grind on the NFL in the upcoming
negotiations.

Catch David Moore and co-host Robert Wilonsky on The Ticket (KTCK-AM
1310 and 96.7 FM) on Intentional Grounding at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/02/01/e...