From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
Subject: Re: John Hillerman, Higgins on "Magnum, P.I.," Dies at 84
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 00:11:40 -0000 (UTC)
Ubiquitous<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-hillerman-dead-magnum-pi...

>The Texan played the stuffy (but lovable) character on the Tom Selleck
>starrer, winning an Emmy in 1987, and appeared in 'Chinatown' and
>'Blazing Saddles.'

>John Hillerman, the actor who made a career out of playing snooty
>types, including Tom Selleck's fastidious estate caretaker Jonathan
>Quayle Higgins III on Magnum, P.I., died Thursday. He was 84. . . .

Higgins was a terrific character. Even in Magnum's lamer episodes, I
always looked forward to his scenes.

>He also was recognized for his character on the 1977-78 sitcom The
>Betty White Show, in which he played the star's director and former
>spouse; as Sandy Duncan's father on Valerie's Family: The Hogans; and
>as Bonnie Franklin's crusty boss Mr. Connors at a PR firm on One Day at
>a Time. . . .

Wow. I remember The Betty White Show. It was one of the worst written
sitcoms ever; what a horrible show. Betty White was, I guess, supposed
to be Angie Dickinson. Georgia Engel, also from The Mary Tyler Moore
Show, was in the cast.

For some reason, I was thinking he was on The Nancy Walker Show too, but
I'm wrong.