Subject: Re: John Hillerman ("Magnum, P.I.") dead at 84
From: "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:08:47 -0600
EGK sent the following on 11/09/2017 at 06:55 PM:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:46:47 -0600, "Jim G."<jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> David sent the following on 11/09/2017 at 05:15 PM:
>>> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-hillerman-dead-magnum-pi...
>>>
>>> John Hillerman, Higgins on 'Magnum, P.I.,' Dies at 84
>>> by Duane Byrge , Mike Barnes
>>>
>>> John Hillerman, the actor who made a career out of playing snooty
>>> types, including Tom Selleck's fastidious estate caretaker Jonathan
>>> Quayle Higgins III on Magnum, P.I., died Thursday. He was 84.
>>>
>>> Hillerman, who received four Emmy nominations in consecutive years for
>>> portraying Higgins and won in 1987, died at his home in Houston,
>>> family spokeswoman Lori De Waal told the Associated Press. She said
>>> the cause of death had not been determined.
>>
>> Well, crap. I'll have to watch one of my Magnum faves and have a glass
>> of Scotch in his honor tonight.
>
> I'd recommend one of the best Higgins-centric episodes
>
> Letter to a Duchess
> While Magnum prepares for an annual surf-ski race, Higgins has his hands
> full hiding the beautiful Lady Wilkerson from two shady pursuers. Smitten by
> the maiden in distress, Higgins sends her a letter expressing his feelings,
> but she mistakenly thinks the amorous words are from Magnum. It quickly
> becomes a case of romance on the run when the duchess is kidnapped and the
> two "Romeos" must spring into action to save her.

I always feel sorry for Higgins in this one. He tries even harder than
usual to be a proper English gent and still loses the girl to the guy
who likes hot dogs and baseball. For his part, Magnum takes an unfair
outburst from Higgins and still does right by him in the end.

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE