Subject: Re: John Hillerman ("Magnum, P.I.") dead at 84
From: "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:15:56 -0600
anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/09/2017 at 07:00 PM:
> In article <ou2stn$m25$3@dont-email.me>,
>   "Jim G."<jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> David sent the following on 11/09/2017 at 05:15 PM:
>>> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-hillerman-dead-magnum-pi...
>>> s-84-1056800
>>>
>>> John Hillerman, Higgins on 'Magnum, P.I.,' Dies at 84
>>> by Duane Byrge , Mike Barnes
>>>
>>> John Hillerman, the actor who made a career out of playing snooty
>>> types, including Tom Selleck's fastidious estate caretaker Jonathan
>>> Quayle Higgins III on Magnum, P.I., died Thursday. He was 84.
>>>
>>> Hillerman, who received four Emmy nominations in consecutive years for
>>> portraying Higgins and won in 1987, died at his home in Houston,
>>> family spokeswoman Lori De Waal told the Associated Press. She said
>>> the cause of death had not been determined.
>>
>> Well, crap. I'll have to watch one of my Magnum faves and have a glass
>> of Scotch in his honor tonight.
>
> But which?  One of the Higgin's brothers eps?

Nah. Those were never favorites of mine.

> He has some good scenes in Digger Doyle, plus, Erin Gray, shorts, extra
> Ferrari.

Yeah, that one's good. Feeling obsolete was classic Higgins. And Magnum
carrying him up all of those steps while he druggedly rambles on was
great. And, as you say, Digger.

> He gets the last word in the finale IIRC.
>
> MPI isn't on The Netflix.  I might have to settle for AT LONG LAST LOVE
> (the extended length road show version of course) ...
>
> Every season is on The Amazon Prime!  And every episode is ... not
> available.  Rat bastards.

On the Magnum front, I'm probably gonna go with "Black on White" from
Season Three. Some good Higgins backstory -- he recommended courtmartial
for everyone, including himself -- and all of the guys are involved in
one way or another, as well, even if TC *did* get conned into tearing up
all of those gas receipts in the end. Heh. And they try to pull one over
on Higgins, but this time it's for a good cause. And Ian McShane in an
early role (and the far better of his two appearances on the show). And
most of all, just a really good story about what war can do to a person.

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE