From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2017-11-09 (Thursday)
Full headers:
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 06:49:57 -0800
On 2017-11-10 13:35:16 +0000, Obveeus said:

> What did you watch?

The Shannara Chronicles (recorded) - "Paranor". An episode that was
almost entirely "filler", as it didn't even resolve its own storylines,
instead kicking the resolution of the various stories to the next
episode.  :/
   Anyway, Wil and Allanon reach Paranor, and enter to meet Bannon
after Allanon sends Mareth off. But, it turns out, it's all a plan by
Allanon to get Mareth to trap himself and Bannon inside Paranor. But
before that happens, Bannon fatally poisons Wil's uncle Flick. So
Bannon coerces Wil and Mareth to get the Warlock Lord's skull in order
to free Bannon in order to save Flick. Instead, though, Wil and Mareth
get transported to the past, where they meet a young, pre-quest version
of Wil's father Shea. Meanwhile, Cogline tells Eretria of her "secret
destiny". And Ander, Lyria, and Garet Jax prepare to interrogate a high
Lieutenant in the Crimson.
   Basically, none of these storylines were resolved in this episode,
so we need to wait until the next episode to see if anything comes of
any of this...  :|

Stranger Things (The Netflix) - "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple
Street". This episode is mostly devoted to fleshing out the strange
girl the boys discovered at the end of the previous episode. They hide
her out in the lead boy's house, and call her Eleven, "El" (shouldn't
it be "Elle"?!) for short. Oh, and she has "mutant powers", as she can
move stuff with her mind... Meanwhile, the sheriff discovers the body
of the diner owner, which has been staged to look like a suicide.
Winona Ryder continues to get weird phone calls from her son from
"beyond", and inexplicable things keep happening during these calls.
And Ryder's son goes to visit his deadbeat dad, but doesn't find the
missing boy there. Meanwhile, the whole subplot with the teen sister
and her teen friends is total distraction-bait that I wish they would
just leave it all out of this - but that does end with the "monster"
getting another "victim": the teen sister's nerdy friend.

Gotham - "Stop Hitting Yourself". An episode that's actually very light
on Gordon, as we focus on the "fight club" where Grundy, Riddler and
Dr. Leslie are hanging out. Penguin orders the female trio of Barbara,
Tabby, and CatGrrl to go to the club to pinch Riddler. But there, Tabby
discovers that "Butch" is still "alive", and Barbara discovers that
Leslie has been hangin' out there, so they get sidetracked. Eventually,
Penguin sends Firefly(?) too, when the three ladies "fail" in their
mission's time-limit, but Leslie and the three babes stand up to
Firefly, and save Riddler. Now the three dames are off Penguin's
payroll, and Leslie is running the fight club.
   Meanwhile, Gordon displaces Bullock as Captain, after Gordon loses
faith in Bullock. And Penguin takes on a very young "apprentice" (was
this kid some kind of "Easter egg" for the comics fans?...), and likely
figures out that Crystal Reed's Sofia has been snowing him this whole
time.
   Next episode: It looks like we're back to Pyg, as Pyg apparently
takes on Penguin head-on...

Arrow - "Deathstroke Returns". An episodes devoted to the backstories
of Slade Wilson and Dinah Drake, probably the show's two *least
interesting* characters. So, yeah, this episode was a total snooze,
especially when they bungled the revelation of who "Vigilante" is
(we've been waiting over a season, for *this*?!...), and then went
improbably awful with the "twist" in the story of Slade's missing son.
   Yeah, this was an episode so bad, even I could hate it like Fred and
Jim usually hate this show - and the worst part is, it's not over: the
next episode is going to follow-up on all of this nonsense...  >:/
   P.S. Why the *Hell* is Willa Holland still main-cast credited on
this show when she never friggin' *appears*...  :/

Recorded for later: The Orville, Van Helsing, and S.W.A.T. (just
because I'm morbidly curious to see if this show gets better, or worse,
after the pilot!!...).