From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
Subject: Re: [TCM Underground] This week on TCM Underground: Red Sonja, Tarzan, The Ape Man
Full headers:
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 22:05:21 +0000 (UTC)
Ubiquitous<weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>Tarzan, The Ape Man(1981):
>James Parker is in Africa looking for a mythical white ape when his
>wife dies. He is joined by his estranged daughter, Jane. Together, they
>learn this white ape is Tarzan, a man who was raised by apes in the
>jungle. Parker continues to hunt Tarzan, but now with the purpose of
>bringing him back to England, dead or alive. Tarzan responds to the
>situation by kidnapping Jane, and the two are fascinated by each other.
>When natives take Jane with the intent of sacrificing her, Tarzan
>springs into action.

Doesn't this mean TCM will be airing a heavily censored movie? I have a
vague recollection that the last portion of the movie, the lovers' chase
through the jungle without dialogue, was heavily cut for theatrical
release, as was much of the sex scene.

The only time I've seen this movie was with Joe Bob Briggs hosting,
with Miles O'Keeffe as his guest. O'Keeffe was self deprecating and had
fun poking at his first and most famous on-screen performance, what's
essentially a soft pr0n movie released by a major studio. It was allegedly
the long version of the movie. I remember thinking that the directing
and Bo's performance were both so awful that whatever cuts were made for
theaters weren't enough.