> Prev
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Subject: DARK (2017 - German/Netflix Series)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 01:17:57 -0600
I've watched the first three episodes and I'm so intrigued that I have
no doubt I'll finish the season.  It's yet another "weirdness in a small
town" science fiction story, complete with big secrets, kids in jeopardy
and mysterious goings on in a big lab behind a razor-wire fence.  Sound
like STRANGER THINGS? No, it's not trying to copy that one really,
though some of the same elements are there. This one reminds me more of
LES REVENANTS with its somber mood, heartbroken parents, and caverns
where secrets lie.

It bothers me more mow than it did in my younger years to see children
come to harm.  I've become an old softy, I suppose. But poor Mikkel...
Still, I haven't given up hope for him and I'm pretty sure I have at
least the basics of his story figured out.

This one's not as much fun as STRANGER THINGS was for me, but it's
keeping me every bit as interested. The cinematography is outstanding,
the locations beautiful, dark and moody. Boy this show is great to look
at. I started computer communicating with a 300 baud modem and now look
at me streaming high definition movies to my flat screen TV.  Wow.
There's no telling what wonders I'll have in my home in another 50
years.  When I'm 120.

Finally, I wish they hadn't dubbed the dialogue.  I'd much rather listen
to the original actors while reading subtitles.  But I've turned on
closed captions anyway because I find reading distracts me from the lips
that aren't saying what I'm hearing.  And it's clear whoever translated
for spoken dialogue was not the same person who translated for closed
captions. The discrepancies aren't serious, but sometimes interesting to
notice.

It's a good show.  You like WESTWORLD, STRANGER THINGS, GLITCH, LES
REVENANTS -- that stuff?  Watch this.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog