Next <
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: ESPN starts measuring streaming, finds large increases in viewers
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 12:28:44 -0500
On 12/7/2017 12:07 PM, David wrote:
> http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/espn-streaming-live-ratings-measur...
>
> ESPN Says Streaming Boosts Live Viewer Ratings
> By Brian Steinberg
>
>   Using seven weeks of viewing, ESPN said it noticed a 23% increase in
> viewing by people between 18 and 34 across its total schedule and a
> 13% increase in that viewership in primetime. The surge helped
> contribute to a 4% increase in overall total-day viewership and a 13%
> increase in overall primetime viewing, the network said.
>
> ESPN said the inclusion of streaming and out-of-home viewers between
> September 25th and November 12th lent a 26% boost to the 18-to-34
> audience for its flagship “Monday Night Football,” a 33% boost to
> broadcasts of college-football matches and a 27% increase in the
> measure for NBA broadcasts. The network saw a 19% increase in that
> audience for the popular talk show “First Take” and a 14% lift in
> younger viewers for Scott Van Pelt’s late-night edition of
> “SportsCenter.”

The article doesn't seem clear about whether these additional viewers
are seeing the same ads (or even how many of them are watching ads at
all).  More eyeballs is a completely meaningless bit of info to
advertisers if those eyeballs are not monetized in the same way.

I know that if/when I watch ESPN streaming there are segments where the
sound/screen just goes blank (I'm guessing this is when local
commercials air).  It also seems that such viewing is much less engaging
as, at least for me, ESPN streaming is closer to ESPN radio than ESPN
Network in the way that I am often listening, but not watching at all.