From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Matt Lauer news footage remains in current movie releases
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 12:32:26 -0500
On 12/7/2017 12:25 PM, David wrote:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/matt-lauer-wont-...

> Matt Lauer Won't Be Cut From 'I, Tonya' or 'Lady Bird'
> by Chris Gardner
>
> Matt Lauer may be gone from the small screen, but he's still popping
> up on the big one. The former Today host, who was fired Nov. 29 from
> NBC after complaints about inappropriate sexual behavior, appears in
> Lady Bird, A24's Bush-era coming-of-age drama; in one scene, star
> Saoirse Ronan watches Lauer on a newscast reporting about the war in
> Afghanistan.
>
> At a recent screening at the ArcLight Santa Monica, Lauer's appearance
> prompted groans throughout the sold-out theater. Meanwhile, Neon's I,
> Tonya contains another bit of Lauer, with footage of him reporting on
> the 1994 attack on figure skater Nancy Kerrigan included in a montage
> sequence.
>
> Reps for that film, which premiered a day before the scandal broke,
> wouldn't comment when asked if there'd been any thought of cutting
> Lauer the way Kevin Spacey has been replaced by Christopher Plummer in
> All the Money in the World. But erasing all of Lauer's cinematic past
> would be a big task: He's had screen time in scads of films, including
> Zoolander 2, Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! and Entourage.

It doesn't make much (any) sense to cut him from archive footage of
newscasts.  Are people really looking to rewrite history (above and
beyond already thinking that scripted fare should be re-edited to
exclude wrongdoers).   ...and oh the irony of considering editing out
Matt Lauer in a film that is specifically about a criminal - Tonya Harding.