From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2017-12-06 (Wednesday)
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 14:30:38 -0500
On 12/7/2017 1:35 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:30:57 -0500, Obveeus<Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>>> I read Probst's comment that they went with the marble pulling for the
>>> reward challenge because they felt they had too much else to cover.
>>
>> hmmm...the Reward Challenge occurs near the beginning of the episode, so
>> how did they know how much other stuff they would need to cover as a
>> result of the subsequent 2 days of filming?
>
> Oh no.. You found the fatal flaw in Probst's argument. ;)  That was my
> immediate reaction upon reading what he said. I doubt that was what
> they were thinking at the time. It's probably Probst just trying to
> come up with a good reason for the change.

Agreed.  I'd be happier to hear that they designed some obstacle type
course that injured several crew members during run-through so they
scrapped it.  That would be less sad than that the crew of 100 or so
just didn't feel like working so the show had a rock drawing contest.

>>> get that but hate that they didn't do a real challenge but instead
>>> went with a pure luck of the draw option.
>>
>> Yes...and especially as part of the loved ones visit.
>>
>>> Lauren was obviously shocked
>>> at Mike tossing away his half of the HII that Lauren had gotten.
>>> Though that shell was way too easy for her to get.
>>
>> The shell was easy for her to get, but still harder than other HIIs
>> which are simply hidden somewhere in the first place and don't require
>> any effort to obtain the second half.  If she hadn't been such a dolt
>> and announced finding the first half, I don't think anyone would have
>> noticed the importance of her picking up a shell in the sand.
>>
>>> Ben is clearly going to be the #1 target going forward and is going to
>>> either need to win out the Immunity Challenges or find a social game
>>> that has been sorely lacking to this date.
>>
>> With this episode, he took the lead as 'perfect loser'.  His
>> condescending way of talking to others and his extremely tedious and
>> continuous references to PTSD make him seem like the kind of person
>> others want to be next to because it increases their odds of winning.
>
> That's true but he is a wild card vote and that's a risk so the
> players may be unwilling to keep him around.
>
>> Side note:  How disingenuous was it for his wife to talk about the
>> hardship of being without him while he has been away on SURVIVOR for a
>> few weeks?  She must be very used to long stints away from him as part
>> of his military deployments.
>
> Any emotional plea that might convince someone to let them join the
> reward is worth the effort. As you say she's probably the one most
> used to being separated from their loved ones given the long
> deployments that seems to be the standard for the last few decades.

True, though you'd hope that some of the parent/child duos are used to
being separated as well by this point in their lives.  I also thought
that it was interesting that 2 of 3 married couples matched in the first
round of rock pulling.  Other combos went 0 for 4.