Subject: Re: BAFTAs Go Batty
From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 14:16:17 -0500
On 2018-01-03 1:13 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
>> In article<anim8rfsk-911F6F.10204203012018@news.easynews.com>,
>>  anim8rfsk<anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> There are a lot of words for this. "Bold" is not one of them.
>>
>> So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
>> people as Norsemen?**
>>
>> Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
>>

>> **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into It's A
>> Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.
>
> Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
> adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
> even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
> tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
> out of luck.
>
> I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.

Some producers are already doing it. I saw that TV adaptation of Beowulf
a couple of years back and they had a South Asian woman as a blacksmith.

A friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about these things said it
wasn't completely unheard of to have a woman blacksmith in those days -
Beowulf takes place around 500 AD - but there had been no contact
between Britain and South Asian as of yet so there is no way a South
Asian would have been a blacksmith in England in those days.

It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are a
group of diverse women. Or Roberta Hood and Her Band of Merry Women and
Aspiring to Be Women. Or WW II films depicting Winstonia Churchill as
the British Prime Minister.

--
Rhino