From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Subject: Re: BAFTAs Go Batty
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:14:18 -0700
In article <p2ja61$i71$1@dont-email.me>,
 Rhino<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2018-01-03 1:13 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > On 2018-01-03 17:59:34 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> >> So a movie about the Vikings now has to cast black and latino and Asian
> >> people as Norsemen?**
> >>
> >> Or are films about white people just not allowed at all anymore?
> >>

> >> **I know Marvel already did that when they turned Asgard into

a crapfest

 It's A
> >> Small World with swords, but I'm talking about more serious films.
> >
> > Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
> > adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
> > even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
> > tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
> > out of luck.
> >
> > I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.
> >

> Some producers are already doing it. I saw that TV adaptation of Beowulf
> a couple of years back and they had a South Asian woman as a blacksmith.
>
> A friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about these things said it
> wasn't completely unheard of to have a woman blacksmith in those days -
> Beowulf takes place around 500 AD - but there had been no contact
> between Britain and South Asian as of yet so there is no way a South
> Asian would have been a blacksmith in England in those days.

Morgan Freeman was a merry man in 1991's Robin Hood.

> It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
> political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
> hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
> Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are a
> group of diverse women. Or Roberta Hood and Her Band of Merry Women and
> Aspiring to Be Women. Or WW II films depicting Winstonia Churchill as
> the British Prime Minister.

MERLIN (the Katie McGrath (yum) version) was populated with black
characters, that were in all walks of life, including blacksmith,
handmaiden, and Knight of the Round Table.  And there were no color
barriers when it came to dating, and in the incredibly wretched series
destroying (but not for this reason) finale, black Gwen became Queen of
Camelot.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/