Subject: Re: BAFTAs Go Batty
From: Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 16:27:31 -0500
On 2018-01-03 3:14 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <p2ja61$i71$1@dont-email.me>,
>   Rhino<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> a crapfest
>
>   It's A
>>>
>>> Yes - this basically rules any serious historical drama, or literature
>>> adaptaion, out of contention. So any future Jane Austen adaptation, or
>>> even more ridiculously, any film about a, say, 15th century African
>>> tribe or empire (all black cast, so "not diverse", right?...), would be
>>> out of luck.
>>>
>>> I don't see how this policy can possibly be implemented.
>>>

>> Some producers are already doing it. I saw that TV adaptation of Beowulf
>> a couple of years back and they had a South Asian woman as a blacksmith.
>>
>> A friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable about these things said it
>> wasn't completely unheard of to have a woman blacksmith in those days -
>> Beowulf takes place around 500 AD - but there had been no contact
>> between Britain and South Asian as of yet so there is no way a South
>> Asian would have been a blacksmith in England in those days.
>
> Morgan Freeman was a merry man in 1991's Robin Hood.

By the time of Robin Hood, which is about 1200 AD, Britain knew about
Moors, who were North Africans, some of whom were quite dark. I'm
willing to accept that maybe one of Robin's men was black, although it
still seems a major stretch. It's much more likely that they wanted
Freeman in the cast because he helped sell seats and used the awareness
of Moors that existed to paper over the unlikeliness of it all.

>> It seems that if it's a contest between historical accuracy and
>> political correctness, the latter is going to win every time. I can
>> hardly wait for a new version of King Arthur and the Knights of the
>> Round Table in which the King is a transgender and the knights are a
>> group of diverse women. Or Roberta Hood and Her Band of Merry Women and
>> Aspiring to Be Women. Or WW II films depicting Winstonia Churchill as
>> the British Prime Minister.
>
> MERLIN (the Katie McGrath (yum) version) was populated with black
> characters, that were in all walks of life, including blacksmith,
> handmaiden, and Knight of the Round Table.  And there were no color
> barriers when it came to dating, and in the incredibly wretched series
> destroying (but not for this reason) finale, black Gwen became Queen of
> Camelot.

I think I'm very glad I didn't see Merlin then. It sounds like a
preposterous pile of nonsense.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against black characters or actors in
historical films/shows. I just have a problem when they are appear where
they couldn't possibly be. That just grates on me, as it would if we had
a historically accurate portrayal of Elizabethan England showing Klingon
actors. Or Wyatt Earp operating an AK-47 instead of his trusty revolver.

--
Rhino