From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
Subject: Selfies: Enough monkeying around
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 05:28:28 -0000 (UTC)
There was a wonderful story from Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, "Selfies:
Enough monkeying around", in which our friends at PETA found a way to
abuse copyright law to file a lawsuit against a wildlife photographer
who had set up a camera in a jungle in 2011. A macaque monkey came upon
the camera and started taking selfies.

The photographer published the monkey's selfies in a book. PETA then
gave the monkey an adorable name and filed a copyright fringment lawsuit
against the photographer for violating the monkey's copyright in the
photographs. I'm not sure how they got the monkey to sign a retainer
agreement.

The US District Court for Northern California dismissed in 2015, but
PETA could appeal, sigh.

E. Leonard Rubin wrote the article. He's a lawyer specializing in
copyright and other matters, and has been head of a nonprofit legal
group that helps artists and entertainers with copyright issues.

I wasn't able to get through the pay wall, but Chicago Tribune's Rick
Kogan summarized it in 2018.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ae-monkey-takes-a-se...