From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2018-02-08 (Thursday)
From: Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 06:30:00 -0800
On 2018-02-09 13:20:45 +0000, Obveeus said:

> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot
> imagine how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless
> tale stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.
> This is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney
> Mara provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just
> about a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.

This sounds like something I'd like a lot more than you would.

I believe Arthur also saw this, but I don't remember his take on it...

> What did you watch?

To cover yesterday's eaten-by-ES post, a quick recap of Wednesday,
before Thursday's viewings...:

WED:

The Tudors (The Netflix) - Ep's #4.7 & 4.8. See a general review of the
entire series below. But in these two episodes, it felt like they
thought the show was actually about Henry, when it's supposed to be
about Henry's wives and daughters!!...  ;)

The Blacklist - "The Invisible Hand". I thought this was quite a
mediocre episode - even the 'B' storyline with Red & Lizzie sagged...
:(

THUR:

The Magicians (recorded) - "A Life in the Day" (ep. #3.5). This was an
odd little episode. To continue their "Quest" for the next key, Quentin
and Eliot end up having to live an entire life (in an alternate
timeline) - it was nice to see Rose Lipton again here, though, and the
actress that played Quentin's "wife" (Kylee Bush?) was quite
attractive. Meanwhile, both Kady and Penny have a very bad day. Margo's
life gets crappier (but at least now Dina Meyer is her
mother-in-law!!). And Julia's and Alice's story was confusing - Julia
was told to help Alice, but all she did was help herself!... Still, it
looks like Julia and Alice might consider a "magic switch".

The Tudors (The Netflix) - The final two episodes: "Secrets of the
Heart" and "Death of a Monarchy" (ep's #4.9 & 4.10).
   Overall, I quite enjoyed this series. The strongest parts to my mind
were all of season #2 (which details the rise and fall of Anne Boleyn,
along with Thomas More) and the first half of season #4 (Catherine
Howard). The weakest parts were, perhaps ironically, the beginning (the
first half of season #1) and the end (the last half of season #4).
Indeed, Season #4 got a lot less compelling when Catherine Parr showed
up, and the show never really treated her as much more than a
peripheral character. Also, they kind of blew it by not having Anne of
Cleves back in the last half of season #4, as she was still around...
   That said, I thought the final episode was actually decent, if not
outstanding - it was fun to see 3 of Henry's wives again (Catherine
Howard wasn't granted a ticket to this reunion, as it was only granted
to the wives of Henry who produced extant offspring...).
   However, at the end here, they played fast and loose with the
character of Duke of Suffolk - Charles Brandon actually died in 1545,
two years before Henry, not in the same month!!
   Impressively, this series managed to steer pretty close to the
actual *history* (only deviating majorly in a few spots - e.g.
Catherine Howard's final words), which as we can see from others is
*rare* for a historical series (see, esp: "Reign", but also "Victoria",
both of which like to throw the actual history out the window!!). There
were some (biggish) problems however: losing Henry Czerny's Duke of
Norfolk after season #1 was a major, major problem. Similarly, losing
Archbishop Cranmer after season #2 was almost as big of a problem. Both
of these absences had later repercussions, as both were *actively*
involved in the actual events depicted over the whole course of the
series. Honestly, the show should have just *recast* both roles if they
couldn't get Czerny and Hans Matheson back.
   After this, somebody *really* needs to do a "Mary & Elizabeth"
series - I'd love to see Sarah Bolger again as Princess/Queen Mary,
with Karen Gillan as Princess/Queen Elizabeth!!  ;)

Arrow - "The Devil's Greatest Trick" (ep. #6.13). Well, that was
anti-climatic! The "Cayden James arc" is seemingly resolved... and I'm
both relieved but also a little disappointed, as I was expecting it was
going to be revealed that Alena(!! Kacey Rohl) was behind it all!!
   Anyway, this is all pointing towards a much less interesting
back-half of season #6...  :/

Recorded for later: Thursdays are pretty dead right now, so nuthin'...