From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2018-02-08 (Thursday)
Full headers:
From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 06:43:07 -0800
On 2/9/2018 5:20 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> NCAABB:  In the background I sort of watched Arizona vs. UCLA
> basketball.  Arizona started off behind and, aside from a brief moment
> in the game, stayed there throughout.  Arizona had a very hard time
> getting anything to go into the basket.
>
> SUNLIGHT JR.:  A 2013 drama starring Naomi Watts and Matt Dillon as a
> couple living in poverty and trying to make their place in life.  They
> have no money to speak of, so they eat out and go to bars a lot and
> smoke cigarettes...sadly, this is realistic to a lot of people living in
> poverty.  Everyone in the film acts like trailer trash and the only
> people I felt bad for were the slew of foster care children that Tess
> Harper's character was using like cattle.  This film was nothing more
> than a depressing look at society.
>
> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.

Well, I guess I liked it a lot more than you did.

> What did you watch?

Law and Order: SVU - "The Undiscovered Country" - This show didn't just
jump the shark, it beat it too death with it's own tale.  Jack McCoy
returns for Benjamin Stone's funeral.  Along for the ride is Ben's son
Peter Stone, who I had *no* idea was an existing character on a spin off
show. Any way, with two extra DAs in the episode, you *know* the current
DA is on the way out.  And he goes out with a bang when in a
*completely* out of character move he mercy kills a baby and is put on
trial for murder by Peter Stone.

Supernatural - "Devil's Bargain" - Lucifer takes up panhandling because
the writers have run out of ideas and think it's funny.  And to really
emphasize just how out of ideas the writers are, they have the angels do
something they would *never* under *any* circumstances ever do.

The Olympics - I watched bits and pieces of this, mostly professional
Olympic level skaters falling one after the other.  And is it really so
hard to schedule the Olympics so that the first event happens *after*
the opening ceremony?