From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Altered Carbon
Full headers:
From: anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 11:37:17 -0700
In article<bulr7ddp7bm7larhhd2iuh6epvt8i5agto@4ax.com>,
 EGK<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Did anyone else finish altered Carbon on Netflix?

Ob and I have a long detailed discussion about it over on
What Did You Watch? 2018-02-07 (Wednesday)

  I wanted to like this
> show a lot more than I actually did.   It sure didn't make me want to read
> the book by the time it ended.

It actually makes me want to read the book, because I know the TV writer
to be an incompetent fool, and the redits say she tossed the book anyway.

 It was a convoluted mess for the most part.
> The motive of the main villain had me scratching my head even while they
> kept repeating it over and over.

Ob and I are discussing that too.  :)  Please join in!

> It reminded me of the first season of The Expanse.

In that they were ripping off Larry Niven with every keystroke?  Yep.

   That show got way
> better after the plots started to come together.  I kept waiting for Altered
> Carbon to be like that and it never jelled.  The final episodes seemed
> rushed.
>
> I think Altered Carbon would have benefited a lot from a linear storyline
> but I guess shows don't like to do that anymore.   It makes too much sense
> and we need more style over substance in TV shows.  <rolling eyes>

I don't think it was that non linear, and probably couldn't be much more
linear given that it covered hundreds of years.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/