From: Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>
Subject: Re: FOX News Exec upset by diversity of U.S. Olympics team
From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:33:56 -0000 (UTC)
David<dimlan17@yahoo.com> wrote:

>https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/08/fox-news-executive-vp-r...

>Fox News executive VP rails against diversity of US Olympians:
>"Darker, Gayer, Different"

>Fox News' John Moody, who serves as the network's executive vice
>president and an executive editor, criticized the diversity of Team
>USA in an op-ed a day before the 2018 Winter Olympics were scheduled
>to open in PyeongChang, South Korea.

>Moody decried the strides Team USA has made toward diversity of its
>athletes in a February 7 op-ed published on FoxNews.com. Though this
>is Team USA's most diverse delegation of athletes ever, as The
>Washington Post reported, the U.S. Olympic Committee still has a lot
>of progress to make: Out of 243 athletes, two men are openly gay, 10
>are African American  4 percent  and another 10 are Asian American.
>The rest, by and large, are white. Moody suggested without basis that
>the focus on diversity may cost Team USA medals, and speculated that
>athletes were given spots on the team that they didn't earn during
>their trials, because of their race. From Moody's op-ed:

Here's another way to look at it:

The sports federations need to ensure that the Olympic trials are fair
and honest competitions, and emphasize that point. There is absolutely
no reason for the U.S. Olympic Committee to have made a statement that
there is still a lot of progress to make beyond achieving the goal of
open and honest competition. All it has to do is ensure that athlete were
selected on merit and no one was selected who is unable to compete with
world-class athletes from other countries.

There is no reason for any athlete to tell any sports executive what his
or her sexuality is. It's as insulting as black athletes and
entertainers who were told decades ago, upon receiving awards and
recognition, that they were excellent representatives of their race.

By the time it gets to Olympic trials, it's years too late to address
any discrimination, which is in access to being able to practice and
play the sport because gifted athletes who aren't blessed with middle
class parents totally dedicated to their sport probably won't get too
far in it as children.

As we learned from the recent allegations by former athletes against the
US Soccer Federation, the sports federations have all the money in the
world from marketing. Somehow this money is used to pay generous executive
compensation but too little of it is used for the benefit of the young
athletes for development when they are pre-teen children and teenagers,
whose parents just can't afford the huge cost of sports.

On the off chance that I've been too subtle, let me re-iterate my point
by paraphrasing the immortal words of Tanner Boyle from The Bad News Bears:

Hey U.S. Olympic Committee: You can take apology and your tokenism and
shove 'em straight up your ass!