From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2018-02-08 (Thursday)
Full headers:
From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:20:57 -0700
On 2018-02-09 6:20 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> I watched:
>
> NCAABB:  In the background I sort of watched Arizona vs. UCLA
> basketball.  Arizona started off behind and, aside from a brief moment
> in the game, stayed there throughout.  Arizona had a very hard time
> getting anything to go into the basket.
>
> SUNLIGHT JR.:  A 2013 drama starring Naomi Watts and Matt Dillon as a
> couple living in poverty and trying to make their place in life.  They
> have no money to speak of, so they eat out and go to bars a lot and
> smoke cigarettes...sadly, this is realistic to a lot of people living in
> poverty.  Everyone in the film acts like trailer trash and the only
> people I felt bad for were the slew of foster care children that Tess
> Harper's character was using like cattle.  This film was nothing more
> than a depressing look at society.
>
> A GHOST STORY:  A 2017 film starring a bedsheet as a ghost.  this film
> has very little dialog and very little internal logic.  I cannot imagine
> how audiences sat in the theater and survived this pointless tale
> stretched out over 90 minutes for effect.  This is not high art.  This
> is not clever.  This is not intelligent.  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara
> provide supporting characters, but really this whole film is just about
> a bed sheet standing around and doing nothing.
>
> What did you watch?

Mech X-4.  This is a juvenile series and I"m not a faithful watcher of
it, but the ultimate villain in the first season was actually pretty
well characterized considering this was a kid's show.  For it's target
demographic it would actually be really good.***

How the Universe Works:  Supernovas:  Didn't tell me much I didn't
already know but had lots of pretty coloured CGI explosions that ignore
the fact that real supernovae would be just...white to the human eye.  I
wonder how many people think that novas and nebulae really look like
that?***

Frankie Drake Mysteries.  Frankie is asked to try to check out that
"Anastasia Romanoff" who was around in the 20s and find out whether
she's for real.  She fails of course, but does find out who is trying to
kill her , so that's something. ****

Frankie Drake Mysteries:  A flashback to the days when Frankie was a spy
in the Great War and met Trudy...who suspected her of being a German
spy.  Incidentally in the episode before these two I got to find out
what happens to Crabtree after his life in Murdoch Mysteries so they're
definitely shared universe. ****

Endeavour:  A murder involving members of a cult.  I'm afraid I didn't
follow it very well although I did notice that they were really playing
up the capability of the cute WPC...I think to explain her getting
promoted to be the new partner so early in history.  Not a lot of female
homicide detectives in the early 60s I think.**