From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Meghan Markle has been baptised
Full headers:
From: David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 14:35:45 -0700
On 2018-03-08 2:16 PM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2018-03-08 4:04 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>> So I guess her fat can no longer be used to make flying ointment.
>
> ??
>
> What is "flying ointment"

A mixture of ingredients supposedly used to grant witches the power of
flight when rubbed on the body.  To grant context many of the supposed
recipes for "flying ointment" include poisonous herbs with
hallucinogenic properties such as datura.  So in a certain manner of
speaking the witch really would "fly".

and why would anyone's fat, let alone
> Markle's, be an ingredient?

Rendered fat was used as a solvent to extract the active ingredients of
the mixture.  It's what makes it an ointment that will stick to the
skin. While many recipes sensibly used animal fat, one of the aspersions
cast on alleged witches is that they would use the fat of unbaptised
children.  Of course at that time and place baptism was so universal
that the only way you could get such an ingredient was by getting your
hands on an infant alive or dead who hadn't had time to be baptized yet.