From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Netflix experiment finds viewers say they want subtitles butreally prefer dubbing
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Netflix experiment finds viewers say they want subtitles but
really prefer dubbing
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:22:24 -0500
On 3/8/2018 4:54 PM, David wrote:
> http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/netflix-success-secrets-120272...
>
> Netflix’s Secrets to Success: Six Cell Towers, Dubbing and More
> By Janko Roettgers
>
> U.S. consumers overwhelmingly told the company that they wanted to
> watch foreign originals with English subtitles. However, the folks at
> Netflix weren’t so sure that was true, so they streamed a dubbed
> version of the French show “Marseille” to a subset of its viewers by
> default. Those who got the dubbed streams were more likely to finish
> the series than those who watched it with subtitles.

I wasn't part of this test, but I can say that I stopped watching
MARSEILLE very early on in season #1.  It wasn't good.

> That’s why Netflix is now streaming dubbed versions of shows by
> default,

They are?  I've never encountered that problem.

> while still letting users switch to the original with
> subtitle at any time. Consumers seem to like it, no matter what kind
> of notions they might have had about dubbing: In the U.S., the
> majority of viewing of the German drama “Dark” as well as the
> Brazilian sci-fi show “3%” happened with dubbed audio, according to
> Netflix’s international dubbing manager Denise Kreeger.

Americans are very embarrassing people to be associated with at times.
I understand how dubbing can work with a cartoon since the mouths very
rarely move with the speech anyway, but mismatched voices coming out of
real people is horrible.