From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: THE QUIET ONES (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 15:23:55 -0500
On 11/5/2017 3:05 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 12:11 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
>> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
>> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
>> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual
>> battle between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the
>> movie more as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is indeed
>> horror, which you'll know because you've seen it all before.  Though
>> the story seems based on enough research that the filmmakers,
>> including the estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously, the
>> horror-fan may well wish for more style and less substance.  Minimally
>> recommended.
>
> A great movie that was extremely well executed.

Though I liked its performers and even its tone well enough, I can give
it some respect for only its alleged authenticity.  But those neither
engaged nor scared me.  Meanwhile, for me, this flick was doubly hurt by
its PG-13 rating: first, I knew there'd be no seriously horrific stuff
despite how the aforementioned 'tone' seemed to promise some, and
second, there *was* no seriously horrific stuff.  And I don't understand
those decisions, as tQO's themes were decidedly non-juvenile...

--

   YOUR taste at work...