From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: Re: THE QUIET ONES (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:38:45 -0600
On 11/5/2017 2:23 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 3:05 PM, trotsky wrote:
>> On 11/5/2017 12:11 PM, moviePig wrote:
>>>
>>> In 1974, it would appear that an experiment was begun at Oxford
>>> University.  Its objective was to prove that supernatural events
>>> surrounding a young mental patient were, in fact, "merely" paranormal
>>> ones.  As a horror-movie premise, this already concedes the usual
>>> battle between the real and the unreal ...nominally qualifying the
>>> movie more as fantasy than as horror.  Still, THE QUIET ONES is
>>> indeed horror, which you'll know because you've seen it all before.
>>> Though the story seems based on enough research that the filmmakers,
>>> including the estimable Jared Harris, take it all quite seriously,
>>> the horror-fan may well wish for more style and less substance.
>>> Minimally recommended.
>>
>> A great movie that was extremely well executed.
>
> Though I liked its performers and even its tone well enough, I can give
> it some respect for only its alleged authenticity.  But those neither
> engaged nor scared me.  Meanwhile, for me, this flick was doubly hurt by
> its PG-13 rating: first, I knew there'd be no seriously horrific stuff
> despite how the aforementioned 'tone' seemed to promise some, and
> second, there *was* no seriously horrific stuff.  And I don't understand
> those decisions, as tQO's themes were decidedly non-juvenile...

You are so full of shit.  Have you never seen a Robert Wise movie?  Both
the original "The Haunting" and "The Andromeda Strain" were fantastic.
How about a James Whale movie?  How about "Nosferatu"?  Most of the
scariest movies I can name weren't rated "R".  That's a cop out for your
minimally recommended review.