From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: THE QUIET ONES (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 17:42:41 -0500
On 11/5/2017 5:12 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 3:19 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> You are so full of shit.  Have you never seen a Robert Wise movie?
>>> Both the original "The Haunting" and "The Andromeda Strain" were
>>> fantastic. How about a James Whale movie?  How about "Nosferatu"?
>>> Most of the scariest movies I can name weren't rated "R".  That's a
>>> cop out for your minimally recommended review.
>>
>> Yes, your views on PG-13 horror are well known to most bipeds.  But
>> *this* movie would've been better to watch even if *only* its rating
>> were changed.  And, if Robert Wise made THE HAUNTING today, I'm
>> reasonably certain it'd be 'R' -- if only to keep the kids home.
>
> Address the larger point: are classic horror films such as
> "Frankenstein" and "Nosferatu" scary or not?  Why not give an example of
> similar movies where one was better because of the "R" rating, or even
> the same movie that "better" because of the unrated version?  Do you
> have any logic or reasoning attached to this opinion at all?

No, not to modern audiences, those old films aren't especially scary.
More specifically, being scared by them requires a viewer who's
considerably more sophisticated and/or fluid than is normal.

For an example of the utility of the 'R'-rating, consider THE QUIET
ONES, along with two people who sit down to watch it.  Tell one of them
-- privately -- that this film will give them the worst nightmares
they've ever had.  But tell the other that, despite the setups,
everything that happens on-screen turns out to be rather tame.  Then
have them watch the movie, while you measure their respective pulses...

--

   YOUR taste at work...