From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Subject: Re: THE QUIET ONES (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 07:23:01 -0600
On 11/5/17 4:42 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 5:12 PM, trotsky wrote:

>> Address the larger point: are classic horror films such as
>> "Frankenstein" and "Nosferatu" scary or not?  Why not give an example
>> of similar movies where one was better because of the "R" rating, or
>> even the same movie that "better" because of the unrated version?  Do
>> you have any logic or reasoning attached to this opinion at all?
>
> No, not to modern audiences, those old films aren't especially scary.
> More specifically, being scared by them requires a viewer who's
> considerably more sophisticated and/or fluid than is normal.
>
> For an example of the utility of the 'R'-rating, consider THE QUIET
> ONES, along with two people who sit down to watch it.  Tell one of them
> -- privately -- that this film will give them the worst nightmares
> they've ever had.  But tell the other that, despite the setups,
> everything that happens on-screen turns out to be rather tame.  Then
> have them watch the movie, while you measure their respective pulses...

"Scary" is of course subjective, but I believe the "R" rating you feel
means something just allows for more gore, which isn't particularly
scary if you've seen it before.  The other thing common in modern horror
is what's known as the "jump scare", a shot designed to make the
audience jump.  I rarely find those scary anymore.  When I do, I
actually feel surprised by the fact that I do.  So then we come to the
question "what is scary?"  Some people are afraid of spiders, so seeing
lots of spiders on screen would probably be scary.  So the larger point
is one that I bring up all the time, unless you establish a point of
reference your "mimimal recommendation" doesn't mean much.  You can say,
"I thought movie X was similar in theme, but was more scary because of
Y" where "Y" may or may not have something to do with an R rating.
While I'm writing this I'm trying to think what I would compare "The
Quiet Ones" to, because I seem to recall thinking that it reminded me of
other movies I didn't like as much, but I can't remember what they were.