From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: THE QUIET ONES (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 09:31:05 -0500
On 11/6/2017 8:23 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 11/5/17 4:42 PM, moviePig wrote:
>> On 11/5/2017 5:12 PM, trotsky wrote:
>
>>> Address the larger point: are classic horror films such as
>>> "Frankenstein" and "Nosferatu" scary or not?  Why not give an example
>>> of similar movies where one was better because of the "R" rating, or
>>> even the same movie that "better" because of the unrated version?  Do
>>> you have any logic or reasoning attached to this opinion at all?
>>
>> No, not to modern audiences, those old films aren't especially scary.
>> More specifically, being scared by them requires a viewer who's
>> considerably more sophisticated and/or fluid than is normal.
>>
>> For an example of the utility of the 'R'-rating, consider THE QUIET
>> ONES, along with two people who sit down to watch it.  Tell one of
>> them -- privately -- that this film will give them the worst
>> nightmares they've ever had.  But tell the other that, despite the
>> setups, everything that happens on-screen turns out to be rather
>> tame.  Then have them watch the movie, while you measure their
>> respective pulses...
>

> "Scary" is of course subjective, but I believe the "R" rating you feel
> means something just allows for more gore, which isn't particularly
> scary if you've seen it before.  The other thing common in modern horror
> is what's known as the "jump scare", a shot designed to make the
> audience jump.  I rarely find those scary anymore.  When I do, I
> actually feel surprised by the fact that I do.  So then we come to the
> question "what is scary?"  Some people are afraid of spiders, so seeing
> lots of spiders on screen would probably be scary.  So the larger point
> is one that I bring up all the time, unless you establish a point of
> reference your "mimimal recommendation" doesn't mean much.  You can say,
> "I thought movie X was similar in theme, but was more scary because of
> Y" where "Y" may or may not have something to do with an R rating. While
> I'm writing this I'm trying to think what I would compare "The Quiet
> Ones" to, because I seem to recall thinking that it reminded me of other
> movies I didn't like as much, but I can't remember what they were.

I'm talking about 'R' vs. 'PG-13' to the degree that they reflect their
nominal intent: "suitability" for particular ages.  I.e., I wouldn't
expect stuff that'd scare a 13-year-old to be as scary to a 50-year-old.

(Fwiw, tQO kept reminding me of John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS.)

--

   YOUR taste at work...