From: A Friend <nope@noway.com>
Subject: Re: Lucas & Spielberg Originally Wanted to Make Indiana Jones a Child Rapist
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 23:25:50 -0500
From: A Friend <nope@noway.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
In article<ys2dnV-zHs8EuJzHnZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@giganews.com>, BTR1701<no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> http://www.comicsbeat.com/indiana-jones-child-molester/
>
> Recently, a transcript has surfaced of the story conference between George
> Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan, in which they hammer out the
> ideas for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. At 126 pages, there's much to digest,
> but some may find this bit of dialog a bit hard to swallow, as the trio
> discusses Marion, Indy's love interest. (G is Lucas, S, Spielberg and L,
> Kasdan)
>
> G — I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could
> have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her
> when she was eleven.
>
> L — And he was forty-two.
>
> G — He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real
> strange relationship.
>
> S — She had better be older than twenty-two.
>
> G — He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five
> and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at
> the time.
>
> S — And promiscuous. She came onto him.
>
> G — Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is
> interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen, it's not interesting anymore.
> But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an
> affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he--
>
> S — She has pictures of him.
>
> One thing that springs to mind is that this is a bit like the relationship
> between Carol (14-year-old Mackenzie Phillips) and John Milner (Paul Le
> Mat) who goes on a drag race against Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford) in Lucas's
> AMERICAN GRAFFITI, so this idea must have had some appeal to Lucas.
>
> The other is... blecccch.

I have in mind the end of THE CANTERVILLE GHOST, the 1944 remake with
Robert Young and Margaret O'Brien.  Young and O'Brien play distantly
related cousins, both the descendants of a ghost that haunts O'Brien's
castle.  At the very end, with the ghost liberated to seek his proper
place in the hereafter, Young picks up seven-year-old O'Brien and holds
her close in friendly fashion.  O'Brien says, very seriously, that
she'll be old enough to marry him in, like, eleven years.  Young grins
broadly (yep! he seems to be saying), the music swells, and the film
goes to black.  Holy shit.