From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Lucas & Spielberg Originally Wanted to Make Indiana Jones a ChildRapist
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Lucas & Spielberg Originally Wanted to Make Indiana Jones a Child
Rapist
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 09:37:19 -0500
On 11/7/2017 9:15 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/6/2017 11:25 PM, A Friend wrote:
>> In article<ys2dnV-zHs8EuJzHnZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@giganews.com>, BTR1701
>><no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.comicsbeat.com/indiana-jones-child-molester/
>>>
>>> Recently, a transcript has surfaced of the story conference between
>>> George
>>> Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan, in which they hammer
>>> out the
>>> ideas for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. At 126 pages, there's much to digest,
>>> but some may find this bit of dialog a bit hard to swallow, as the trio
>>> discusses Marion, Indy's love interest. (G is Lucas, S, Spielberg and L,
>>> Kasdan)
>>>
>>> G — I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He
>>> could
>>> have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair
>>> with her
>>> when she was eleven.
>>>
>>> L — And he was forty-two.
>>>
>>> G — He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a
>>> real
>>> strange relationship.
>>>
>>> S — She had better be older than twenty-two.
>>>
>>> G — He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was
>>> twenty-five
>>> and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly
>>> young at
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> S — And promiscuous. She came onto him.
>>>
>>> G — Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but
>>> it is
>>> interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen, it's not interesting
>>> anymore.
>>> But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an
>>> affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and
>>> he--
>>>
>>> S — She has pictures of him.
>>>
>>> One thing that springs to mind is that this is a bit like the
>>> relationship
>>> between Carol (14-year-old Mackenzie Phillips) and John Milner (Paul Le
>>> Mat) who goes on a drag race against Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford) in
>>> Lucas's
>>> AMERICAN GRAFFITI, so this idea must have had some appeal to Lucas.
>>>
>>> The other is... blecccch.
>>

>> I have in mind the end of THE CANTERVILLE GHOST, the 1944 remake with
>> Robert Young and Margaret O'Brien.  Young and O'Brien play distantly
>> related cousins, both the descendants of a ghost that haunts O'Brien's
>> castle.  At the very end, with the ghost liberated to seek his proper
>> place in the hereafter, Young picks up seven-year-old O'Brien and holds
>> her close in friendly fashion.  O'Brien says, very seriously, that
>> she'll be old enough to marry him in, like, eleven years.  Young grins
>> broadly (yep! he seems to be saying), the music swells, and the film
>> goes to black.  Holy shit.
>
> But those were the days when the popular notion of marriage extended
> [...]

26 states have no minimum age requirement for marriage:
http://apps.frontline.org/child-marriage-by-the-numbers/

QUOTE:
The youngest children to marry were three 10-year-old girls in Tennessee
in 2001, who were married to men ages 24, 25, and 31
:UNQUOTE

Since January 1st, 2000, kids 13 and under have gotten married in
Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi,
Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Carolina,
Tennessee, Texas, and Washington.

985 children, age 14, were married since January 1st, 2000.

31 adults over age 60 got married to minors since January 1st, 2000.  In
alabama, a 74 year old man married a 14 year old girl.

In Massachusetts girls can marry at age 12, boys at age 14 with
court/parent consent.

In Mississippi, a person has to be 21 years old before they can get
married without their parent's permission.