From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD reshoots
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 09:42:26 -0500
On 11/9/2017 9:33 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/9/2017 8:46 AM, Obveeus wrote:
>>

>> On 11/9/2017 12:54 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> Why stop at unreleased films?  Why not edit Errol Flynn out of "Robin
>>> Hood"
>>> and Bing Crosby out of "Going My Way"?
>>
>> I agree.  I understand that Ridley Scott is in a tough position,
>> afraid that his film will never see the light of day or will be
>> unfairly blocked from awards consideration, but the overly 'PC'-ness
>> of this re-shooting is a horrible precedent.
>
> I don't think it's a tough position for Scott, at least not in the sense
> that he has any real choice in the matter.  Movies are a business, and a
> Kevin Spacey flick right now has about the same box-office prospects as
> SPRINGTIME FOR HITLER.

One choice that Ridley Scott had was simply to wait a year for the
shockwave to abate.  If, at that time, Spacey has been wiped from the
Hollywood landscape then do the re-shoots with a replacement actor and
submit the film for the awards circuit when it will be less likely to be
avoided 'just because'.

Another choice would be to release the film without pandering to the
awards circuit.  This sort of sounds like one of those films that is
aimed at awards rather than profit, anyway...and the award half of that
equation is just about vanity if Ridley Scott is willing to rework his
art just in the hopes of getting attention.