From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD reshoots
Full headers:
From: Obveeus <Obveeus@aol.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:05:37 -0500
On 11/9/2017 9:58 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/9/2017 9:42 AM, Obveeus wrote:

>>> I don't think it's a tough position for Scott, at least not in the
>>> sense that he has any real choice in the matter.  Movies are a
>>> business, and a Kevin Spacey flick right now has about the same
>>> box-office prospects as SPRINGTIME FOR HITLER.
>>
>> One choice that Ridley Scott had was simply to wait a year for the
>> shockwave to abate.  If, at that time, Spacey has been wiped from the
>> Hollywood landscape then do the re-shoots with a replacement actor and
>> submit the film for the awards circuit when it will be less likely to
>> be avoided 'just because'.
>>
>> Another choice would be to release the film without pandering to the
>> awards circuit.  This sort of sounds like one of those films that is
>> aimed at awards rather than profit, anyway...and the award half of
>> that equation is just about vanity if Ridley Scott is willing to
>> rework his art just in the hopes of getting attention.
>
> Barring new evidence from the grassy knoll, Kevin Spacey will go down in
> history as THE three-strike poster boy (harassment, cradle-robbing, and,
> yes, homosexuality).  I'll bet half of Hollywood is re-routing their
> daily commute so as not to drive past his house...

Mel Gibson has recovered from his poster boy status as drunken racist.

It remains to be seen if Spacey's career will go the route of Michael
Richards or Mel Gibson.

I kinda hope that at some point the 'victim blaming' mentality kicks in
and Hollywood decides that he is a victim (abused by daddy) and as such
deserves a shot at therapy/recovery.  Unfortunately for Spacey, in our
society, it is a lot easier to be accepted back in from the cold if you
are a drug dealer or a killer than if you have committed a sex crime.