From: TT <ascii@dprk.kp>
Subject: My latest film list.... "100 Years of Cinema - Top 2 Films Each Year"
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: TT <ascii@dprk.kp>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:14:25 +0200
This one is pretty challenging I think... but should be a really nice
test for cinephiles imo. How many have you seen?

100 Years of Cinema - Top 2 Films Each Year
http://www.listchallenges.com/100-years-of-cinema-top-2-films-each-...

-

.... A really tricky list to make...I must have worked on this list for
two or three months (mainly watching films from "weak" years) and still
had problems on picking titles...

Some dilemmas I faced:

-The year 1964...extremely strong year... Out of 46 titles I've rated, I
have nine films at 9/10 (I normally rate only 5% of films 9+):

Zorba the Greek (1964)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
I Am Cuba (1964)
Onibaba (1964)
Woman in the Dunes (1964)
The Night of the Iguana (1964)
Lilith (1964)
Marnie (1964)
Fail-Safe (1964)

-The year 1968, I have rated FOUR films 10/10, which is a lot since in
total I've rated only 33 films a full 10...

The Lion in Winter (1968)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)

-1980
....which one is better: 'Ordinary People' vs 'Airplane'...

-1962
....Which one is better: 'Two Women' vs 'Kapo'...

-1959
....Rio Bravo vs Some Like It Hot...

-1957
.... 12 Angry Men vs River Kwai...
(Couldn't have both because I wanted some "diversity" by picking the
Russian 'Cranes are Flying' as the 2nd pick)

-1927
....Metropolis vs Sunrise
(I had first place locked with slightly lesser know film: '7th Heaven',
similar romance film to 'Sunrise' with great cinematography)

Should one favour films with bigger cultural impact or just pick imo the
better title... for example some pretty good films vs pretty good
blockbusters:

2001: A.I./A Beautiful Mind/Samsara vs LOTR
1997: Good Will Hunting vs Titanic
1982: Blade Runner vs E.T.
1963: Silence (Bergman) vs Cleopatra

Etc.

In general I noticed that there's an abundance of great films from late
1950s to late 1970s. Was a bit harder to find great films for some
recent years and silent era.

Discuss!