From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: WIND RIVER (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 12:10:24 -0500
On 11/15/2017 10:42 AM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>
>> The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
>> reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
>> "true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
>> outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
>> American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
>> delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
>> end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
>> and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.
>>
> Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been incorporated into the script.

!!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!

I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on the
trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the progression of
scenes that followed).  Whoever came up with that very unconventional
yet inspired sequence has my admiration.  (If it's not fresh enough in
your mind, I'm happy to recap.)

--

   YOUR taste at work...