From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: WIND RIVER (no spoilers)
Full headers:
From: reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:24:38 -0600
On 11/15/2017 11:10 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 10:42 AM, william ahearn wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
>>
>>> The massive snowstorm that threatens Wyoming's already frozen WIND RIVER
>>> reservation is just a head-fake (possibly owing to the story's basing on
>>> "true events").  Instead, the movie follows the investigation -- mostly
>>> outdoors -- of a grisly and heart-wrenching assault on a young Native
>>> American woman.  Ranger/hunter Jeremy Renner leads the pursuit,
>>> delivering epigrams both pithy and sententious, and there's a moralizing
>>> end-title that's almost puzzling.  But, here, the story is the story,
>>> and it's in expert -- if frostbitten - hands.  Solidly recommended.
>>>
>> Yeah, that needless end title bothered me as well. Ir could have been
>> incorporated into the script.
>
> !!! SOME DESCRIPTION OF NARRATIVE STRUCTURE !!!
>
> I was especially taken with the ballsy "cutaway" -- as she knocks on the
> trailer door -- to the boyfriend answering it (and the progression of
> scenes that followed).  Whoever came up with that very unconventional
> yet inspired sequence has my admiration.  (If it's not fresh enough in
> your mind, I'm happy to recap.)

Ballsy, eh? Cheap? It's somewhere between the two. Technically, it's
cheating: because no law-enforcement character knows what happened
inside the trailer it can't tie a neat ribbon around the investigation
or resolution (many dead bad guys), and comes off as a crutch for the
audience, a group of people who are always presumed to be wanting to be
led by the nose to a reason they ought to hate somebody and not flinch
so much at that somebody's bloody death.

Theatrically, it's been done before--I just can't tell you when.

Damn movie looks like it was living hell to make and I liked that the
cops had to clean out two trailers packed with soulless animals that
needed killing.

LNC