From: hector <bobble@there.com>
Subject: Re: Churchill (2017)
From: hector <bobble@there.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 23:46:27 +1100
On 22/11/2017 5:26 AM, Neill Massello wrote:
> hector<bobble@there.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you seen the movie?
>
> No. I assume it deals with the story that Churchill kept pushing for a
> continental invasion before the Allied forces were ready for it?

Not at all.  He opposed the D-Day operation because it was a naval
landing, too much like Gallipoli, Eisenhower, Montgomery wanted it.
Churchill seems as if his time as relevant to the war effort is passing
in this story.  He bemoans how Gallipoli was handled in this.  He said
everyone blamed him but it wasn't just him.
He wanted diversionary actions to make the Germans move their forces
elsewhere.  He tried to instigate other plans but was overruled behind
his back.  He was pleased when the weather stopped the invasion.
He says he is still haunted by the Gallipoli disaster.