From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
Subject: Review: Gifted (2017)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:41:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Leeper <mleeper@optonline.net>
GIFTED
               (a film review by Mark R. Leeper)

    CAPSULE: This is something of a re-working of the aphorism,
    "It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be
    nice."  Bachelor Frank Adler is raising Mary, a
    seven-year-old who is a great child prodigy.  Mary's school
    finds out they have a genius in their first grade, and they
    want to teach the girl to fully develop her skills.  Frank
    resists, wanting instead to give Mary (his niece) a normal
    school experience.  Frank's mother enters the argument on
    the side of the school.  The issue comes down to whether
    special students need to get special attention to make the
    most of their talents.  Rating: high +1 (-4 to +4) or 6/10

If a child shows great potential to be highly intelligent, should
her intelligence be specially nurtured into making her a leader or
should she be treated like any other child and raised to be
"normal?"

Director Marc Webb gives us a story of a seven-year-old girl who
has the mathematics ability of at least a graduate student.  Mary
(winningly played by eleven-year-old Mckenna Grace) is one such
gifted child.  Her grandmother Evelyn (Lindsay Duncan) wants to
give the child special schooling and training.  Mary's uncle and
guardian, Frank (Chris Evans who in other films plays Captain
America), wants Mary treated as much as possible like any of her
peers.  Her grandmother thinks that not developing that child into
a world-beating genius would be the worst kind of negligence.  The
disagreement comes to a court trial and a custody battle.

Nominally the main character is Chris Evans, but eleven-year-old
Mckenna Grace grabs our attention whenever she is on-screen.  She
has a surprising control of her facial expression.  This season she
also is feature as a young Tanya Harding in I, TONYA.  Another
expressive face is Octavia Spencer (of HIDDEN FIGURES) as Mary's
next-door neighbor.  I am not sure exactly what she is doing in
this movie unless to demonstrate that there are people who like
Mary in spite of her differences in mentality.  Lindsay Duncan
plays Evelyn Adler, the grandmother who is convinced she should
force Mary into studying mathematics.

The film lets the viewer decide who is right in the issue of Mary's
education, but they do put a heavy thumb on the judgment scale.  We
have seen Pinocchio and "Star Trek"'s Data really want to become
like us real humans.  The best thing to be is a real live normal
person.  Tom Flynn, who wrote the screenplay, makes the two people
who know mathematics stiff and dehumanized.  (I can tell you from
my days in contact with some very good mathematicians that many
mathematicians are people who spend their careers following their
curiosity (mathematical or otherwise) are usually more closely in
touch with their humanity than nearly anyone else.

In the final analysis I would say that there are few enough truly
gifted students that society can well afford to cultivate these
few.  Everyone will benefit by giving these people the choice to
make very real contributions.  And the film's implicit implication
that the truly gifted will be dehumanized is a straw bogyman.  I
rate GIFTED a high +1 on the -4 to +4 scale or 6/10.  One touch I
do appreciate is that mathematics on the blackboard looks like the
real thing.

Film Credits:
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4481414/combined>

What others are saying: