From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Subject: Re: YOUR NAME (no spoilers)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:12:16 -0500
On 12/1/2017 9:57 AM, Obveeus wrote:

> On 12/1/2017 9:53 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> A high-school boy and girl, miles apart, find they've switched bodies.
>> The hand-drawn fantasy drama YOUR NAME is more than rewarding to look
>> at, as both the complexity and scope of its story are a year or two
>> above the adolescent demo typical of anime.  Fans of this stuff may
>> well be (and apparently are) thrilled.  For me, though, a couple more
>> years of age-level are needed for an entry in this genre be an
>> unqualified must-see.  Admittedly, those twain may never meet.  Mostly
>> recommended.
>
> What I wrote last month:
> YOUR NAME.:  A 2016 animated feature from Japan.  The story starts off
> looking like it will follow one of those standard film tropes/themes
> that we have seen a dozen or more times before.  It does take a bit of a
> sci-fi (and I use that term loosely) twist and adds some depth as it
> goes.  The animation here is a bit generic feeling, but it is certainly
> well done.  The story feels abridged at times, as though they wanted to
> keep the film under 2 hours and had to cut some transitional bits for
> time.  Still, this is a good film and certainly worth watching,
> especially for those looking for family friendly fare.  The IMDB score
> stands at 8.5 and this film earned over $350million at the box office
> even though it was limited to only $5million domestically.  I have to
> attribute the US non-interest as a product of the film choosing not to
> use a bunch of famous American actors as voice cast.  Well, that and the
> tiny FUNimation studio backing.

Yeah, I remember reading that now -- might've put me onto the movie.  It
is interesting to estimate the box-office had they gone with name-voices
(though I don't know what well-knowns could credibly do high-school).
Meanwhile, I'm guessing I liked the visuals more than you did, with its
wonderful little throwaways and minimalisms.  Re 'family fare', I was
surprised to see such frank boob-groping in a 'PG' (but noted the
obverse handled so deferentially that I didn't get what was going on).

--

   YOUR taste at work...